Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Win 7 to Win 10?

Default Win 7 to Win 10?

I just receivede a notice in my task bar that invites me to reserve my free upgrade to Windows 10 NOW. Even though I use Windows 7.

I thought only windows 8 users are getting the free upgrade.
    Has anyone else gotten this?
    The heart of the human problem is the problem of the human heart.

Default Re: Win 7 to Win 10?

What are the major improvements/differences between Windows 10 and Windows 8.1?
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be certain they're authentic.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

Awesome.. I think.
    Although I am still quite pleased with Win 7.
    My laptop at home is Win 8.1 and I absolutely hate it.

Reserving your free upgrade apparently means you will get it before it's available for everyone. That may mean quicker download speeds than doing it when half the world is trying to download it.

It also means getting it before they can work out any new bugs that show up. That's probably not a big concern though. With the number of people who have been running the pre release versions they probably haven't missed too much.

I installed it on my Surface but haven't had a chance to play around with it much yet. My first impression is that I prefer the 8.1 approach to tablet mode.

Before upgrading you should read the 'Feature deprecation section' in the following article.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...specifications

Did receive my reservation for my windows 7 too.

lol, should have worded that a little differently.

I think they should have taken care of most major bugs and compatibility issues.

I have 7 Home Premium on one machine and apparently that will upgrade to Windows 10 Home. That makes me a bit nervous. The way Microsoft has is worded is vague but the speculation is that, with the home version, updates will be installed automatically and the user will have no control over that.

Ive been running Win 10 since it launched the beta a while back.

Few things:

1) The notification is there if you want to upgrade, it will be done in a queue system to avoid the servers being hammered at retail launch.
    2) Out of the twelve machines I have installed it on , 9 have been upgrade installs from win 7 and 8 and the process was seamless and went without a hitch.
    3) Compatibility really isnt an issue with the powerplay option - hell get your old school win 95/98 games running on a modern OS.

If you ask yourself, is it worth the upgrade? IMO the answer is an astounding yes. Load balancing has been a big part of this and seems to be working well (no point in a fancy multi core processor if most of the cores are sitting idle). DX12 is also a big selling point - why not use all that vram. Those are just a few things I am really enjoying , I could go on for a while.

Its not perfect, but it sure has made a good opening impression. The part that leaves a real foul taste in my mouth is the prospect that microsoft might be implementing a subscription plan for their OS instead of buying a licence outright ala office 365. Id hop on the free upgrade asap, even if you dont install it they key will still retain pre-subscription status.
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

I have a different opinion on Windows 10.
    - DX12 is nice, but you will need a new video card to benefit from that. There goes another $400.
    - Load balancing is nice, but older software is not truly going to be balanced.
    - I prefer the clean windows 7 desktop over the flashy square windows 10 desktop.

And in the end, I am perfectly happy with my windows 7 installation, which has given me 0 issues over the past years. I honestly do not see anything new worth the upgrade.
    And I have access to all the upgrades and non upgrades free of charge, and I am still not interested in switching.
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

Hans, primarily, it's the Win 8 crowd that will benefit more from this upgrade than Win7 users, correct?
    My laptop at home has win 8.1 on it. My office DT has Win 7, with a Solid State Hard Drive and like you, I have NEVER had an issue with Win7.

Windows 7 is almost a 10 year old operating system. Despite what one may think, a whole hell of a lot was between win 7 and now. Aside from people being so resistant to any form of change windows 8 and 8.1 worked just fine. I never had issues with win 7, but 8.1 and 10 is substantially more responsive in all aspects compared 7 , not to mention a whole slew of features implemented now.

It will be the Win 7 users that will benefit from this more than anything.
    i7 970 @ 4.4ghz | Gigabyte x58a UD5 | 6 x 2gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz| Corasir HX1000w PSU | 2 x 40gb Intel SSD + 1TB WD Green | Zotac GTX 480 | Corsair Obsidian 700D
    EK Supreme | MCP655 | XSPC RX360 | DD Dual 5.25" Resvoir | EK GTX480 Nickle | 3 x Sflex 3000rpm 120 x 38mm |

Change is overrated most of the time. If it's not broke why fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Upper Decker View Post
    Windows 7 is almost a 10 year old operating system. Despite what one may think, a whole hell of a lot was between win 7 and now. Aside from people being so resistant to any form of change windows 8 and 8.1 worked just fine. I never had issues with win 7, but 8.1 and 10 is substantially more responsive in all aspects compared 7 , not to mention a whole slew of features implemented now.

It will be the Win 7 users that will benefit from this more than anything.
    I hated the Win 8/8.1 desktop experience. I still have 1 machine that runs XP, and the 8/8.1 desktop looks very much like the XP desktop.
    The Win 7 desktop is so much nicer there is no comparison.
    Since I am a 100% desktop user and not a metro (or whatever they call it these days) user, there is no way I would switch to a desktop that does not look and feel like a win 7 desktop or improves upon that experience.

There is no machine at my workplace that uses windows 8/8.1. The standard is windows 7. I cannot imagine switching to a windows 8/8.1 desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    Hans, primarily, it's the Win 8 crowd that will benefit more from this upgrade than Win7 users, correct?
    My laptop at home has win 8.1 on it. My office DT has Win 7, with a Solid State Hard Drive and like you, I have NEVER had an issue with Win7.
    Well, windows 8 and 10 bring several improvements to the table, but most of those are under the hood and transparent to the user.

- DX12 is not going to make a difference at this point in time to your experience.
    - The new file system is not going to make a difference to your experience.
    - The faster boot times: unless you plan on rebooting your computer every 10 minutes, not going to make a real difference.
    - Better memory handling: nothing can beat a memory upgrade. If you see a difference it is because you are low on memory under windows 7.

Personally I would invest the money in an SSD. Upgrading from a regular drive to an SSD results in much more improvement to user experience than an OS upgrade ever could.
    Doubling your memory can have the same effect.
    Even a better monitor can have an amazing effect. Ever since I put my desktop at 2560x1440 I cringe when I see a 1080p desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    I hated the Win 8/8.1 desktop experience. I still have 1 machine that runs XP, and the 8/8.1 desktop looks very much like the XP desktop.
    The Win 7 desktop is so much nicer there is no comparison.
    Since I am a 100% desktop user and not a metro (or whatever they call it these days) user, there is no way I would switch to a desktop that does not look and feel like a win 7 desktop or improves upon that experience.

There is no machine at my workplace that uses windows 8/8.1. The standard is windows 7. I cannot imagine switching to a windows 8/8.1 desktop.
    And I should add that I still think it is a terrible idea to unify the desktop across all windows devices. Even Apple realized that would not work. Apple would be the first one to jump on an Imac or a Macbook running IOS rather than OSX.

Windows 8/8.1/10 has that flat, minimal depth of graphics look vs. Windows 7. Aside from functionality and technical improvements in the OS, is anyone else bothered by this?
    The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be certain they're authentic.
    ~Abraham Lincoln

You mean it is ugly? Yes, it is.

Banned

I have 8 on my laptop and tablet, but XP on the old desktop. It's so old (2004) it can't support a newer Windows.

Is running XP a security risk?

I do absolutely no financial transactions on it. It's used very minimally, for instance when my other devices are getting their annual end-of-year tune-up for a few weeks. Other than that I rarely use the 'net on it. It is used primarily for music. The speaker system still rocks on the old boy (it's like the Mick Jagger of computers).

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

No, in my opinion it is actually safer than windows 7 or 8 to use right now.
    XP only accounts for around 4% of total use. Hackers typically target operating systems that are widely used to maximize their profits and ability to infect machines.

Windows 7 counts for more than half of all operating systems used, and windows 8 for 25%.
    Therefore it makes more sense to target 7 and 8 since they account for 75% of the market share.

Banned

Interesting, thanks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information