Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toronto man denied subsidized housing for not being Muslim

Default Toronto man denied subsidized housing for not being Muslim

http://globalnews.ca/news/2185359/to...-being-muslim/

This is nuts. If anyone had housing for Christians only, the media would freak!!!
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

Default Re: Toronto man denied subsidized housing for not being Muslim

Nuts it is. It doesn't just play to Muslims though.

While many attacked the idea that a subsidized residence could be restricted to Muslims only, it’s not the only location in Toronto that selects tenants based on religion or age.

The McClintock Manor on Pape Avenue is geared to “Christian seniors.”
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2187517/to...is-acceptable/

Quote Originally Posted by stupefied View Post
    Nuts it is. It doesn't just play to Muslims though.

While many attacked the idea that a subsidized residence could be restricted to Muslims only, it’s not the only location in Toronto that selects tenants based on religion or age.

The McClintock Manor on Pape Avenue is geared to “Christian seniors.”

http://globalnews.ca/news/2187517/to...is-acceptable/
    Geared to, or denying admittance??

Denied or not selected?

You said, "The McClintock Manor on Pape Avenue is geared to “Christian seniors.”

Does that mean that anyone else is denied admittance, or is it recommended to Christian seniors??

Actually, that's kinda funny. Imagine a younger non-Christian person moving into a place like that!! Not 5 minutes would go by in a day without somebody telling him about Jesus!!!

Segregated housing is somewhat common place in Canada at least. Poor people live here, cripples live here, old folks live over there and so on. Our recognized as poor live on Capp, Willowdale, Second Line past Goulais. Old folks go to Chapple/Albion, And various nursing homes. Handicapped Old Garden River Road, Northern Ave and assorted group homes throughout town. I can see a need for housing that addresses Christians needs as they have a problem getting along with each other. (judging by their interaction here)
    Last edited by Anapeg; 08-30-2015 at 11:22 AM. Reason: alone is now along, as it ought to have been.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Why is this shocking? There has always been exceptions like this for special interest groups. It's not illegal and there is a provision in the human rights code for it. You can complain about individual houses all day but if you want to be angry about it, be angry that it's legal.

And just a note to Anapeg, there is a difference between poor neighbourhoods and segregated housing like the one featured in the story. Poor people live in those neighbourhoods because they can't afford to live anywhere else, not because they aren't allowed.
    I am now posting under the name loquetas. Please forward all pm's to that account.

IMHO

Try getting into the ITALIAN PALACE on the waterfront behind the library....unless you are Italian.

Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    ...... I can see a need for housing that addresses Christians needs as they have a problem getting alone with each other. (judging by their interaction here)
    IMO, there's only one Anapeg. I wouldn't have done near as well in the sound business if I didn't get along with Christians of different denominations.

The guy should rap a towel around his head and blow up a parked car ,then they would let him in the building.
    War of religion is like a war of imaginary friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Morris View Post
    You said, "The McClintock Manor on Pape Avenue is geared to “Christian seniors.”

Does that mean that anyone else is denied admittance, or is it recommended to Christian seniors??

Actually, that's kinda funny. Imagine a younger non-Christian person moving into a place like that!! Not 5 minutes would go by in a day without somebody telling him about Jesus!!!
    I didn't 'say' that, I qouted what a city councillor stated. If you put it into context with the rest of his statement it suggests one must be a Christian senior to live there.

I found another source that lists a minimum age and being Christian as requirements, so yes, I would think they would deny residence to those who don't meet the requirements.

I don't think it's right to limit any public subsidized housing to people of a certain religion but apparently it's pretty common.

Banned

IMO, there's only one Anapeg. I wouldn't have done near as well in the sound business if I didn't get along with Christians of different denominations.
    Oh, I'm sure that has happened

IMO, there's only one Anapeg.
    I think there is only one Anapeg as well.
    I am now posting under the name loquetas. Please forward all pm's to that account.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chronic Liar View Post
    I think there is only one Anapeg as well.
    Thank you, kind sir.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Banned

More like "Thank you, dear Lord"

You guys get so much mileage out of typos, I don't bother fixing them!!!

You guys get so much mileage out of typos, I don't bother fixing them!!!
    What are you talking about? I didn't notice any mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chronic Liar View Post
    What are you talking about? I didn't notice any mistakes.
    Talk to stupefied. He can help.

It caters to a specific following of the Muslim faith; Ahmadi Muslim

According to Wiki; Ahmadi Muslims subscribe to the same beliefs as the majority of Muslims, but with a difference of opinion on the meaning of Khatam an-Nabiyyin. The six articles of faith are identical to those believed in by Sunni Muslims, and are based on traditions of Muhammad:

It's like comparing a Roman Catholic to a United-Christian. Both have similar core beliefs, based on Christianity... but the similarities end there. Christians, baptized, believe in God... but "different" in how they do things.

Yeah... they're Muslims, but they aren't "regular" Muslims.

I'd say, given Toronto's by-laws.... this plays legally....
    Its not just "any" Muslim that can go there...

The whole issue as is, has been blown out of proportion because the person bumped off the list was in a wheel-chair, and that building is wheel-chair accessible. Both he, and his mother... started spouting off about "Muslims" and it not being right.... when in fact, its a non-racist thing at all... Christians have a building, Orthodox Greek, Orthodox Lithuanians... etc those are some "specific" groups within the Christian/Catholic religions... a specific group within the Muslim beliefs have filed to have their own..... and they got it.... fair and square...

It just sucks the guy in the wheelchair now has to find a different place to apply to... what about the other people bumped off that list for that building --- they didn't make a big stink about it...

The wheelchair was the sensationalism the article needed to throw Muslims under the bus. Pay attention to the wheelchair, and the mom yelling about Muslims, and screaming that its unfair.... disregard the facts about Toronto... and the fact that they aren't just "regular" Muslims...
    Last edited by Magneto; 09-01-2015 at 01:00 PM.
    As the world fell, each of us in our own way was broken. It was hard to know who was more crazy: me or everyone else.
    I am the one who runs from both the living and the dead; hunted by scavengers, haunted by those I could not protect.
    So I exist in this waste land; a man reduced to a single instinct......SURVIVE

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto View Post
    It caters to a specific following of the Muslim faith; Ahmadi Muslim

According to Wiki; Ahmadi Muslims subscribe to the same beliefs as the majority of Muslims, but with a difference of opinion on the meaning of Khatam an-Nabiyyin. The six articles of faith are identical to those believed in by Sunni Muslims, and are based on traditions of Muhammad:

It's like comparing a Roman Catholic to a United-Christian. Both have similar core beliefs, based on Christianity... but the similarities end there. Christians, baptized, believe in God... but "different" in how they do things.

Yeah... they're Muslims, but they aren't "regular" Muslims.

I'd say, given Toronto's by-laws.... this plays legally....
    Its not just "any" Muslim that can go there...

The whole issue as is, has been blown out of proportion because the person bumped off the list was in a wheel-chair, and that building is wheel-chair accessible. Both he, and his mother... started spouting off about "Muslims" and it not being right.... when in fact, its a non-racist thing at all... Christians have a building, Orthodox Greek, Orthodox Lithuanians... etc those are some "specific" groups within the Christian/Catholic religions... a specific group within the Muslim beliefs have filed to have their own..... and they got it.... fair and square...

It just sucks the guy in the wheelchair now has to find a different place to apply to... what about the other people bumped off that list for that building --- they didn't make a big stink about it...

The wheelchair was the sensationalism the article needed to throw Muslims under the bus. Pay attention the wheelchair, and the mom yelling about Muslims, and screaming that its unfair.... disregard the facts about Toronto... and the fact that they aren't just "regular" Muslims...
    This couldn't be any closer to the truth

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information