Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Colorado

Default Colorado

The gunman suspected of storming a Planned Parenthood clinic and killing a police officer and two others told the officers who arrested him “no more baby parts,’’ after being taken into custody, according to a law enforcement official.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ft-three-dead/

Thank you Conservatives. Well done. You built that!
    CLEAN UP YOUR OWN PUTRID BACKYARD BEFORE LECTURING OTHERS ABOUT THEIR BACKYARD!!!!!!!!(RWGR 2011)

Default Re: Colorado

You can't legislate morality and you can't fight greed and corruption with gun.

There are nut cases everywhere.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Morris View Post
    You can't legislate morality and you can't fight greed and corruption with gun.

There are nut cases everywhere.
    A little Conservative rhetoric and demonetization helps too. Eggs the nutjobs on.
    CLEAN UP YOUR OWN PUTRID BACKYARD BEFORE LECTURING OTHERS ABOUT THEIR BACKYARD!!!!!!!!(RWGR 2011)

True.

But you might think that 58 million abortions since Roe V. Wade, and chopping babies up carefully so you can sell the parts would bother almost anyone.

Please pardon the conservative rhetoric.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Westender 3 View Post
    The gunman suspected of storming a Planned Parenthood clinic and killing a police officer and two others told the officers who arrested him “no more baby parts,’’ after being taken into custody, according to a law enforcement official.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ft-three-dead/

And you built the culture that believes killing babies is okay.

You 'win', sadly.

Um, ok.

Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    And you built the culture that believes killing babies is okay.

You 'win', sadly.
    Actually no. That would be your Constitution and your Supreme Court.

Actually, he means in general, because the same killing culture exists here.

Doesn't really fit the idea of someone motivated by conservative ideals. Just sayin...

James Russell, Dear’s former neighbor in a rural area near Black Mountain, North Carolina, described him as a man who lived in a cabin without electricity or running water and rambled during conversation.

“If you talked to him, nothing was very cognitive -- topics all over the place,” Russell told The Associated Press.

Court records obtained by BuzzFeed suggest an unsettling past. Lt. Shane Roberts with South Carolina’s Colleton County Sheriff’s Office told the site that Dear lived in South Carolina between 1997 and 2007.

Police in the town of Walterboro, South Carolina, intervened in 1997 when his wife claimed he hit her and pushed her out of a window, though she opted not to press charges. In 2002, a woman who said Dear had been making “unwanted advancements” towards her for a couple of months reported him to police after she alleged he was hiding in the bushes near her home.

He was arrested on “peeping tom” charges, though they were ultimately dismissed, according to public Colleton County records.

Banned

It was an activist, left-leaning Court that took the control out of the states' hands and into the federal government's. It's what the Left does when they know their proposed issue has no way of passing a vote of the people.

Scour the Constitution, let me know where you find a right to kill babies.

It was an activist, left-leaning Court that took the control out of the states' hands and into the federal government's.......
    But when did that happen??

Banned

But when did that happen??
    1973, with the Roe v Wade ruling

1973, with the Roe v Wade ruling
    Then it would seem to me that both ends of the political spectrum are basically OK with this, since in 42 years no party has been very active in seeking to change what is obviously the will of the people.

Banned

Then it would seem to me that both ends of the political spectrum are basically OK with this, since in 42 years no party has been very active in seeking to change what is obviously the will of the people.
    Barry, how many times do we have to go over this?

A political party cannot just get rid of a Supreme Court ruling. It can only be overturned by another Supreme Court case, or expunged from the Constitution by an amendment, which takes 3/5 of the states to approve. It's a very difficult process.

And your logic is flawed another way: just because Roe is still law = Republicans support abortion more or less.

That's like saying: Hitler killed six million Jews. The US and Canada did not stop this. So, the US and Canadian governments more or less supported the Holocaust.

Barry, how many times do we have to go over this?

A political party cannot just get rid of a Supreme Court ruling. It can only be overturned by another Supreme Court case, or expunged from the Constitution by an amendment, which takes 3/5 of the states to approve. It's a very difficult process.

And your logic is flawed another way: just because Roe is still law = Republicans support abortion more or less.

That's like saying: Hitler killed six million Jews. The US and Canada did not stop this. So, the US and Canadian governments more or less supported the Holocaust.
    Supported the Holocaust?? Hardly. But they both sure could have prevented deaths.

As I understand it, the courts interpret laws. The government passes them.

Do you mean to tell me that an unelected group of people are responsible for the laws in our countries?? I don't think so. But if there is no will by the parties or the people to change the laws so that the courts will interpret them differently, then nothing will happen.

And this is not a right or left issue.

Banned

Supported the Holocaust?? Hardly. But they both sure could have prevented deaths.

As I understand it, the courts interpret laws. The government passes them.

Do you mean to tell me that an unelected group of people are responsible for the laws in our countries?? I don't think so. But if there is no will by the parties or the people to change the laws so that the courts will interpret them differently, then nothing will happen.

And this is not a right or left issue.
    Look up "judicial activism" and "Roe v Wade"

Yes, at times an activist Court can circumvent the democratic process. The Court did so in 1973 with Roe, and again recently with the gay marriage issue with Obergefell v. Hodges.

Look up "judicial activism" and "Roe v Wade"

Yes, at times an activist Court can circumvent the democratic process. The Court did so in 1973 with Roe, and again recently with the gay marriage issue with Obergefell v. Hodges.
    I understand that, and correct me if I'm wrong, but a concerned government SHOULD be able to pass laws that will NOT be over ridden by the courts.

Banned

I understand that, and correct me if I'm wrong, but a concerned government SHOULD be able to pass laws that will NOT be over ridden by the courts.
    No federal law was over-ridden by the Roe decision. With the decision, the Court took the issue of abortion out of each state's hands, and made it a federal issue. The exact same thing happened with the gay marriage issue; an issue each state dealt with as its' citizens voted was suddenly ripped from the states and made a federal issue.

An activist Court is a much greater threat to democracy than incompetent legislators, and that is because the Court has the final say in matters, because its job is to interpret the Constitution, and the constitutionality, or not, of certain laws and legislation.

How out-of-whack with the constitutional principle of three equal branches of government was the Roe decision? The Court ruled that while the right to an abortion cannot be found at first glance in the Constitution, it can be found in the document's "penumbra".

Well, if you can find the right to kill the unborn in the dark recesses of the Constitution, then you can find the right to do just about anything.

And, sorry, but that was all the Left. Scour the Court's key decisions day and night, you'll never find anything even remotely close coming from the Right.

Re-define marriage. Use abortion for birth control. Two major issues for the Left, and they knew damn well the American voters would never vote for what they wanted. So they do what they always do: bypass the democratic process, and have the Court shove their pet issues down our throats.

Would you please then define how the court is chosen??

Seems to me that, if the democratic process can be over ridden this easily, then the USA is in much bigger trouble than I thought.

On the other hand, I suspect that the majority don't have any problems with these rulings.

Banned

Supreme Court justices are picked by the president, then vetted by a Senate committee.

And don't try to make this just a USA issue. Canada and Europe suffer just as much, probably more, from activism from on high. The difference is Canada and Europe have more willingly accepted their slide into a system of moral relativism. At least in the USA a sizable number of people still believe killing babies is wrong.

You expect the USA's system to be perfect; and if it's not, then it must be deeply flawed. Well, it isn't perfect; it's always a struggle to find a balance.

Even the men who made up the theories of checks and balances and representative democracy (Montesquieu, Hume, Locke, etc) knew their idea would be a challenge, and a constant juggling act. And so it goes.
    Last edited by RWGR; 12-02-2015 at 08:34 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information