Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices - Again

Default Gas Prices - Again

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/gas-prices...151900642.html

and the reason we are still paying close to $1 a litre is?? can anyone say " Local Corporate GREED"

Default Re: Gas Prices - Again

Hey, somebody has to pay for the Macdougals big houses!!!
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

"As a rule of thumb, gas prices in Calgary will always be two or three cents higher than in Edmonton, McTeague said, because Edmonton has three refineries nearby, so Calgarians pay slightly more to transport the fuel."

Makes sense.

But I always understood that bringing in product by ship was the cheapest. So why don't our prices reflect that, considering there are lower prices many places where gas must be trucked in.

IMHO

It is simply local gouging when a city like thunder Bay can sell gas for 71 cents a litre. Like any monopoly...once they got ya by the bag they don't let go.

Banned

They are betting the low CAD will keep many Canadians from crossing the bridge for, among other things, cheap gas.

If the CAD and USD were closer in value I bet you'd see lower gas prices over there.

Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    They are betting the low CAD will keep many Canadians from crossing the bridge for, among other things, cheap gas.

If the CAD and USD were closer in value I bet you'd see lower gas prices over there.
    Those that hold the keys to the pipelines running under our city streets from the dock to the tank farms are far too arrogant and greedy to care about things like this. They prey on those poor enough, patriotic enough or just plain not able to cross the border to give a damn. We have seen this far too long. I will cross as long as I save a buck just to make the point I control where my dollar goes.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

At $1.60 per US gallon - today, the trend that I have seen and written about previously continues. That being a 30 cent difference per liter of gas on this side of the border regardless of exchange rate and or oil prices. For the last 7 years that I have tracked gas prices on each side of the border, there has been a consistent price difference ranging from 26 to 31 cents higher per liter on the Canadian Sault side. This seems to be the price that the powers that be feel is not too high to keep the so called patriotic people (buy local!!) on our side of the border. As others have stated publicly or to themselves, I along with countless others still continue to go where our HARD earned money will benefit me the most. As with others, my discretionary spending at big box stores on the US side has declined due to our unhealthy dollar, but gas is still a bargain of a minimum $1 per CDN gallon savings even after all fees (read Bridge) and conversions are taken into account. Unless we take measures to prevent this gouging, it will continue. We can only show our displeasure by going where we will save the most.

"Does the Sault have a gas problem?"

"The mayor of Sault Ste. Marie says he has been looking into the reasons why gas prices in the city are not in line with most other cities in the province."

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/...problem-195886

It occurs to me that I don't recall seeing an interview with a MacDougall Fuels representative about the prices they charge.

I doubt they would like hard questions.

Sadly and honestly, no amount of whining on this site or the posted Sootoday story will make any difference in how we are gouged. The only way to change is to do so with our feet. If more people cross the border and fill up, there will be an affect locally. This will not occur overnight, but if and when local providers start getting hit in their pocket book then we may see some movement in the price. We can be rest assured that should the price of oil suddenly double or triple, there would be an instantaneous increase in gas prices. The explanation being that the price of oil has changed. This comment seems to only be heard on the way up and not on the way down. The local distributor is banking on our collective apathy. Most are quick to speak but very slow to act.

Quote Originally Posted by ctf View Post
    Sadly and honestly, no amount of whining on this site or the posted Sootoday story will make any difference in how we are gouged. The only way to change is to do so with our feet. If more people cross the border and fill up, there will be an affect locally. This will not occur overnight, but if and when local providers start getting hit in their pocket book then we may see some movement in the price. We can be rest assured that should the price of oil suddenly double or triple, there would be an instantaneous increase in gas prices. The explanation being that the price of oil has changed. This comment seems to only be heard on the way up and not on the way down. The local distributor is banking on our collective apathy. Most are quick to speak but very slow to act.
    Sault Michigan gas comes from the same supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Morris View Post
    "As a rule of thumb, gas prices in Calgary will always be two or three cents higher than in Edmonton, McTeague said, because Edmonton has three refineries nearby, so Calgarians pay slightly more to transport the fuel."

Makes sense.

But I always understood that bringing in product by ship was the cheapest. So why don't our prices reflect that, considering there are lower prices many places where gas must be trucked in.
    Ok..on that logic...Calgary is farther away from Edmonton than I am....yet we pay minimal 10 cents more than Etown...everywhere else east, west & south is cheaper??? even cheaper in Saskatoon & a heck of a lot farther than Bonnyville. We are in the same situation s The Sault where as everywhere encompassing us is cheaper!!
    How Bout Them Cowgirls?

Quote Originally Posted by ctf View Post
    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/gas-prices...151900642.html

and the reason we are still paying close to $1 a litre is?? can anyone say " Local Corporate GREED"
    Stop buying their gas. Problem solved.
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Stop buying their gas. Problem solved.
    You gonna walk to work???

Or ride the bus?? (that uses fuel from the same source)

Same old Bull SAME GANG !

You gonna walk to work???

Or ride the bus?? (that uses fuel from the same source)
    Supply and demand....
    You want it? well, how bad?
    Love like you've never been hurt
    Sing like nobody's listening
    Dance like nobody's watching
    And Live Like it's Heaven on Earth
    - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by dancingqueen View Post
    Supply and demand....
    You want it? well, how bad?
    All we want is to know that we are paying a fair price for a controlled product.

There is only one supplier in the area, and prices are higher here than anywhere similar.

But I'll predict that Mr. Mayor will have nothing more to say about our problem, and I will not speculate why.

All we want is to know that we are paying a fair price for a controlled product.

There is only one supplier in the area, and prices are higher here than anywhere similar.

But I'll predict that Mr. Mayor will have nothing more to say about our problem, and I will not speculate why.
    Well I hate to break it to ya, but you are not paying a fair price for anything... Company has gotta make money, and you are willing to buy it.
    Lets not forget how many companies are involved in the sale of gas.... Everyone wants a slice of the pie, and if the consumers are willing to pay for it, then everyone is gonna get their bigger slice of pie.
    - Mark Twain

Banned

Yes, it's called the free market and supply and demand.

DQ, "willing to pay..." may not be the correct term, perhaps have to pay it might be a more acceptable term? Having a monopoly is always tempting to push the envelope.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    DQ, "willing to pay..." may not be the correct term, perhaps have to pay it might be a more acceptable term? Having a monopoly is always tempting to push the envelope.
    Is driving a right?
    Is it a need?
    I have gotten on quite fine without a vehichle and now many others who have as well.
    What did we do before automobiles where invented?

Yes, "Willing" to pay is the correct term.
    Automobiles are a convenience.
    - Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information