Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Celebrating Luther

Banned

Default Celebrating Luther

Martin Luther on the Dignity and Majesty of God

“I look upon God no better than a scoundrel” (ref. Weimar, Vol. 1, Pg. 487. Cf. Table Talk, No. 963).

“Christ committed adultery first of all with the women at the well about whom St. John tell’s us. Was not everybody about Him saying: ‘Whatever has He been doing with her?’ Secondly, with Mary Magdalen, and thirdly with the women taken in adultery whom He dismissed so lightly. Thus even, Christ who was so righteous, must have been guilty of fornication before He died.” (ref. Trishreden, Weimer Edition, Vol. 2, Pg. 107. – What a great blasphemy from a man who is regarded as “great reformer”!).

“I have greater confidence in my wife and my pupils than I have in Christ” (ref. Table Talk, 2397b).

“It does not matter how Christ behaved – what He taught is all that matters” (ref. Erlangen Vol. 29, Pg. 126).

Martin Luther on the 10 Commandments

“[The commandments] only purpose is to show man his impotence to do good and to teach him to despair of himself” (ref: Denifle’s Luther et Lutheranisme, Etude Faite d’apres les sources. Translation by J. Paquier (Paris, A. Picard, 1912-13), Volume III, p. 364).

“We must remove the Decalogue out of sight and heart” (ref. De Wette 4, 188)

“If we allow them – the Commandments – any influence in our conscience, they become the cloak of all evil, heresies and blasphemies” (ref. Comm. ad Galat, p.310).

“It is more important to guard against good works than against sin.” (ref. Trischreden, Wittenberg Edition, Vol. VI., p. 160).

Banned

Default Re: Celebrating Luther

Martin Luther on Christian Living

“Be a sinner, and let your sins be strong, but let your trust in Christ be stronger, and rejoice in Christ who is the victor over sin, death, and the world. We will commit sins while we are here, for this life is not a place where justice resides… No sin can separate us from Him, even if we were to kill or commit adultery thousands of times each day.” (ref. ‘Let Your Sins Be Strong, from ‘The Wittenberg Project;’ ‘The Wartburg Segment’, translated by Erika Flores, from Dr. Martin Luther’s Saemmtliche Schriften, Letter No. 99, 1 Aug. 1521. – Cf. Also Denifle’s Luther et Lutheranisme, Etude Faite d’apres les sources. Translation by J. Paquier (Paris, A. Picard, 1912-13), VOl. II, pg. 404))

“Do not ask anything of your conscience; and if it speaks, do not listen to it; if it insists, stifle it, amuse yourself; if necessary, commit some good big sin, in order to drive it away. Conscience is the voice of Satan, and it is necessary always to do just the contrary of what Satan wishes.” (ref. J. Dollinger, La Reforme et les resultants qu’elle a produits. (Trans. E. Perrot, Paris, Gaume, 1848-49), Vol III, pg. 248)

Martin Luther on Social Justice

“Peasants are no better than straw. They will not hear the word and they are without sense; therefore they must be compelled to hear the crack of the whip and the whiz of bullets and it is only what they deserve.” (ref. Erlangen Vol 24, Pg. 294).

“To kill a peasant is not murder; it is helping to extinguish the conflagration. Let there be no half measures! Crush them! Cut their throats! Transfix them. Leave no stone unturned! To kill a peasant is to destroy a mad dog!” – “If they say that I am very hard and merciless, mercy be damned. Let whoever can stab, strangle, and kill them like mad dogs” (ref. Erlangen Vol 24, Pg. 294).

“Like the drivers of donkeys, who have to belabor the donkeys incessantly with rods and whips, or they will not obey, so must the ruler do with the people; they must drive, beat throttle, hang, burn, behead and torture, so as to make themselves feared and to keep the people in check.” (ref. Erlangen Vol 15, Pg. 276).

Martin Luther on the Love of Jews

“My advice, as I said earlier, is: First, that their synagogues be burned down, and that all who are able toss sulphur and pitch; it would be good if someone could also throw in some hellfire… Second, that all their books– their prayer books, their Talmudic writings, also the entire Bible– be taken from them, not leaving them one leaf, and that these be preserved for those who may be converted…Third, that they be forbidden on pain of death to praise God, to give thanks, to pray, and to teach publicly among us and in our country…Fourth, that they be forbidden to utter the name of God within our hearing. For we cannot with a good conscience listen to this or tolerate it… He who hears this name [God] from a Jew must inform the authorities, or else throw sow dung at him when he sees him and chase him away”. (ref. Martin Luther; On the Jews and Their Lies, translated by Martin H. Bertram, Fortress Press, 1955).

“Burn their synagogues. Forbid them all that I have mentioned above. Force them to work and treat them with every kind of severity, as Moses did in the desert and slew three thousand… If that is no use, we must drive them away like mad dogs, in order that we may not be partakers of their abominable blasphemy and of all their vices, and in order that we may not deserve the anger of God and be damned with them. I have done my duty. Let everyone see how he does his. I am excused.” (ref. About the Jews and Their Lies,’ quoted by O’Hare, in ‘The Facts About Luther, TAN Books, 1987, p. 290).

“If I had to baptize a Jew, I would take him to the bridge of the Elbe, hang a stone round his neck and push him over with the words I baptize thee in the name of Abraham” (ref. Grisar, “Luther”, Vol. V. pg. 413).

“The Jews deserve to be hanged on gallows seven times higher than ordinary thieves.” (ref. Weimar, Vol. 53, Pg. 502).

Banned

Martin Luther on the Sanctity and Dignity of Marriage

“If the husband is unwilling, there is another who is; if the wife is unwilling, then let the maid come.” (ref. Of Married Life).

“Suppose I should counsel the wife of an impotent man, with his consent, to giver herself to another, say her husband’s brother, but to keep this marriage secret and to ascribe the children to the so-called putative father. The question is: Is such a women in a saved state? I answer, certainly.” (ref. On Marriage).

“It is not in opposition to the Holy Scriptures for a man to have several wives.” (ref. De Wette, Vol. 2, p. 459).

“The word and work of God is quite clear, viz., that women are made to be either wives or prostitutes.” (ref. On Married Life).

Near as I can tell, there's only one guy in Christendom that claims to be infallible (sometimes) and Luther ain't him!!!

Nothing like quoting a guy from 500 years ago to make an argument. Not much point.

Nobody on earth is always right.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Morris View Post

Nothing like quoting a guy from 500 years ago to make an argument. Not much point.

you're right, BM, I should have used a quote from Luther that he said within the last two years or so

Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    you're right, BM, I should have used a quote from Luther that he said within the last two years or so
    Good argument, good content!!!

Banned

Luther, on his deathbed, figured it out. Too bad he has led so many astray, though.

He was right, and I am, just not a Roman Catholic.

You can deny it all day, but even the Roman Catholics admit there are Christians who are not Roman Catholics (separated bretheren), who therefore MUST be catholics.

Banned

Barry, stop. You know darn well he was talking about the faith he left: the Roman Catholic faith.

Barry, stop. You know darn well he was talking about the faith he left: the Roman Catholic faith.
    Oh, did he repent?? I missed that.

No, I don't. A Catholic is a born again real believer in Jesus. A Roman Catholic MIGHT be.

What Luther actually meant, you have no idea, except to swallow what your denomination demands you believe.

Banned

BM, explain to me how his words make sense if he just meant the universal church (small "C" catholic)

If he did, then what he's saying is Protestants are not part of the universal body of Christ (catholic).

His words only make sense in the way he presented them: as a juxtaposition between the awful movement he started, and the Church he left.

But, hey, if you want to believe he is saying Prots aren't part of the universal body of Christ, have at 'er!!!

Banned

BM's translation:

"It is easier to live as a Protestant, but better to die as a member of Christ's universal church"

So, how many Protestants agree with BM??

I agree to live as a Christian & die as a Christian......not to be labeeled protestant nor catholic.

Question?

If a non believer came to this forum looking for answers that lie in their heart about Christiandom & they noticed the constant bickering over rc/prot....then to say to themselves, "If this is Christianity, I want no part of it"...do you think you are accountable for their leading astray?

1 Corinthians 8:9
    Last edited by Barney Rubble; 05-12-2016 at 10:22 PM.
    How Bout Them Cowgirls?

BM's translation:

"It is easier to live as a Protestant, but better to die as a member of Christ's universal church"

So, how many Protestants agree with BM??
    Mormons, JW's, and a whole bunch of other cults might, the ones you keep putting in the same box.

If Luther was speaking of the Roman Catholic church, it makes me wonder why he didn't repent.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    I agree to live as a Christian & die as a Christian......not to be labeeled protestant nor catholic.

Question?

If a non believer came to this forum looking for answers that lie in their heart about Christiandom & they noticed the constant bickering over rc/prot....then to say to themselves, "If this is Christianity, I want no part of it"...do you think you are accountable for their leading astray?

1 Corinthians 8:9
    I don't need to win. Does that tell you anything??

Banned

I don't need to win. Does that tell you anything??

Ummmm, you've accepted your lot in life as a loser?

Banned

Mormons, JW's, and a whole bunch of other cults might, the ones you keep putting in the same box.

If Luther was speaking of the Roman Catholic church, it makes me wonder why he didn't repent.
    Luther was a very proud man, a huge ego. Also, it's not a stretch to say Luther was an instrument of Satan. He created discord in Christianity that led to mass confusion, and decades of Christian killing Christian.

There is one story that Luther had a Catholic priest administer Last Rites to him on his deathbed. Now, as to the veracity of the story, I don't know.

....There is one story that Luther had a Catholic priest administer Last Rites to him on his deathbed. Now, as to the veracity of the story, I don't know.
    Indeed. You would usually characterize that as a lie.

Banned

You hope it's a lie.

You hope it's a lie.
    Nope, because I know that God is concerned about a man's heart, and not his denomination.

What a lame god you believe in, who sends his son to die for your sins but you STILL don't know if you're a true child of God.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information