Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: SS strikes Again!

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The recesses of your mind
    Posts
    27,494

    Default SS strikes Again!

    The United Reform Church voted Saturday to allow same-sex weddings in its churches across the United Kingdom, making it the first in the UK to give LGBTQ couples the option of a church wedding, according to Metro UK.

    http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2016/07/uk-protestant-church-becomes-first-allow-sex-weddings/`

    So, a couple problems here...

    1) they believe the Holy Spirit guided them in right interpretation of this issue

    2) they simply voted on the issue

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sault
    Posts
    37,745

    Default Re: SS strikes Again!

    So, you believe they are mistaken.

    Why shouldn't we??
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

    "if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

    I promise to always post sober.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The recesses of your mind
    Posts
    27,494

    Default Re: SS strikes Again!

    That's fine if you believe they are mistaken. But that brings up a problem.

    You believe, through your interpretation and your pastor's interpretation, that they are wrong to do this.

    They believe they are right in doing it. And, like you, they believe that through their interpretation.

    Both of you believe the Holy Spirit guided you to the correct interpretation. Obviously one of you are wrong.

    In being so, you've just experienced the self-refuting nature of SS. of which you BOTH relied on.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sault
    Posts
    37,745

    Default Re: SS strikes Again!

    Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    That's fine if you believe they are mistaken. But that brings up a problem.

    You believe, through your interpretation and your pastor's interpretation, that they are wrong to do this.

    They believe they are right in doing it. And, like you, they believe that through their interpretation.

    Both of you believe the Holy Spirit guided you to the correct interpretation. Obviously one of you are wrong.

    In being so, you've just experienced the self-refuting nature of SS. of which you BOTH relied on.
    But of course, your argument only works if every single last protestant denomination holds a totally different set of beliefs, which I notice you hate to discuss.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

    "if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

    I promise to always post sober.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The recesses of your mind
    Posts
    27,494

    Default Re: SS strikes Again!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Morris View Post
    But of course, your argument only works if every single last protestant denomination holds a totally different set of beliefs, which I notice you hate to discuss.
    Barry, it doesn't matter if 1/2 feel one way and the other 1/2 feel differently. The fact is there is a difference of interpretation, with both sides claiming the Holy Spirit has guided them to right interpretation.

    And the part you NEVER comment on is this: either the Holy Spirit is sending mixed messages, or SS is a defective idea.

    Which is it??

  6. #6
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sault
    Posts
    37,745

    Default Re: SS strikes Again!

    Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    Barry, it doesn't matter if 1/2 feel one way and the other 1/2 feel differently. The fact is there is a difference of interpretation, with both sides claiming the Holy Spirit has guided them to right interpretation.

    And the part you NEVER comment on is this: either the Holy Spirit is sending mixed messages, or SS is a defective idea.

    Which is it??
    ANYTIME you try that either/or, yer always wrong!!

    Seems to me that the RC might have a problem in the same way, since schisms in the RCC over the centuries have both sides interpreting Scripture "led by the Holy Spirit".

    It even gave you three Popes at one time, each group using the same reasoning.

    Or did they??

    One thing you have yet to address is the beliefs true Christians share, REAGARDLESS of their denomination. Beliefs shared with the RCC in many cases.

    It is obvious, in the RCC and protestantism, that interpretations are often warped because of evil in mens hearts. But honest translators don't let their denominational distinctives twist what they understand from Scriptures. Neither do they allow one denomination claim sole authority to translate it, then override scripture because ogf a claimed authority.

    Unless they are a cult.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

    "if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

    I promise to always post sober.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The recesses of your mind
    Posts
    27,494

    Default Re: SS strikes Again!

    ANYTIME you try that either/or, yer always wrong!!

    You didn't answer my question.

    Seems to me that the RC might have a problem in the same way, since schisms in the RCC over the centuries have both sides interpreting Scripture "led by the Holy Spirit".


    Sure, a Catholic can have a different interpretation; but at the end of the day the Magesterium is the final say on interpretation. So, there's only one RCC stance on fundamental issues and dogma.

    And, you still haven't answered my question.

    It even gave you three Popes at one time, each group using the same reasoning.

    All you're doing is showing personal interpretation is indeed wrong. I don't care if fifty people claim they are the Pope, there is one, at Rome.

    And, you still didn't answer the question.

    One thing you have yet to address is the beliefs true Christians share, REAGARDLESS of their denomination. Beliefs shared with the RCC in many cases.

    Barry, I asked you a simple question. Answer it, then we can move on to questions you may have for me.

    It is obvious, in the RCC and protestantism, that interpretations are often warped because of evil in mens hearts. But honest translators don't let their denominational distinctives twist what they understand from Scriptures. Neither do they allow one denomination claim sole authority to translate it, then override scripture because ogf a claimed authority.


    Barry, you're still avoiding the question: The fact is there is a difference of interpretation, with both sides claiming the Holy Spirit has guided them to right interpretation.

    And the part you NEVER comment on is this: either the Holy Spirit is sending mixed messages, or SS is a defective idea.

    Which is it??

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sault
    Posts
    37,745

    Default Re: SS strikes Again!

    Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    ANYTIME you try that either/or, yer always wrong!!

    You didn't answer my question.

    Seems to me that the RC might have a problem in the same way, since schisms in the RCC over the centuries have both sides interpreting Scripture "led by the Holy Spirit".


    Sure, a Catholic can have a different interpretation; but at the end of the day the Magesterium is the final say on interpretation. So, there's only one RCC stance on fundamental issues and dogma.

    And, you still haven't answered my question.

    It even gave you three Popes at one time, each group using the same reasoning.

    All you're doing is showing personal interpretation is indeed wrong. I don't care if fifty people claim they are the Pope, there is one, at Rome.

    And, you still didn't answer the question.

    One thing you have yet to address is the beliefs true Christians share, REAGARDLESS of their denomination. Beliefs shared with the RCC in many cases.

    Barry, I asked you a simple question. Answer it, then we can move on to questions you may have for me.

    It is obvious, in the RCC and protestantism, that interpretations are often warped because of evil in mens hearts. But honest translators don't let their denominational distinctives twist what they understand from Scriptures. Neither do they allow one denomination claim sole authority to translate it, then override scripture because ogf a claimed authority.


    Barry, you're still avoiding the question: The fact is there is a difference of interpretation, with both sides claiming the Holy Spirit has guided them to right interpretation.

    And the part you NEVER comment on is this: either the Holy Spirit is sending mixed messages, or SS is a defective idea.

    Which is it??
    Avoiding the question?? Sure, like I avoid all questions like "have you stopped beating your wife."

    More like men mix up the Holy Spirit's message, which even the magisterium is subject to, being men, and doing ANYTHING to uphold their denomination and retain their self-claimed authority.

    There's your answer. Hold you like it!!!
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

    "if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

    I promise to always post sober.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The recesses of your mind
    Posts
    27,494

    Default Re: SS strikes Again!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Morris View Post
    Avoiding the question?? Sure, like I avoid all questions like "have you stopped beating your wife."

    More like men mix up the Holy Spirit's message, which even the magisterium is subject to, being men, and doing ANYTHING to uphold their denomination and retain their self-claimed authority.

    There's your answer. Hold you like it!!!
    Barry, why do you avoid a simple question?

    Either the Holy Spirit is giving mixed messages, or SS is flawed. This is the issue here. You can bash the RCC all you want elsewhere, but try to answer this question for once, please.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sault
    Posts
    37,745

    Default Re: SS strikes Again!

    Quote Originally Posted by RWGR View Post
    Barry, why do you avoid a simple question?

    Either the Holy Spirit is giving mixed messages, or SS is flawed. This is the issue here. You can bash the RCC all you want elsewhere, but try to answer this question for once, please.
    I did answer it.

    You didn't like the answer.

    Not my problem.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

    "if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

    I promise to always post sober.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts