Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NAFTA: What it is, and why Trump hates it

Default NAFTA: What it is, and why Trump hates it

Top of Trump's wish list is to renegotiate or "terminate" NAFTA -- the North American Free Trade Agreement. He also wants to slap a 35% tax on goods, such as Ford (F) cars, that are made in Mexico and sold in the U.S.

It is a trade agreement between Canada, Mexico and the United States that was signed into law in 1994 under President Bill Clinton. The framework of the deal was first drafted under President Ronald Reagan in 1987.

NAFTA essentially eliminated almost all tariffs among the three nations, allowing for the seamless flow of goods and supplies across borders. Today, approximately $1.4 billion in goods cross the U.S.-Mexico border every day.

NAFTA also makes it easy for companies to move operations from the U.S. to Mexico.

Can Trump tear up NAFTA without Congress?

Yes. The President has the authority to withdraw from NAFTA under the rules of the agreement. He just has to give Canada and Mexico six months notice.

Has America lost jobs to Mexico because of NAFTA?

Yes, jobs have been lost. But it's not that simple, because there are also millions of U.S.-based jobs that depend on NAFTA.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/15/news...fta/index.html

Finally, after months CNN admits the truth. This is the same CNN that has been saying for months that Trump is wrong and the President cannot just abandon NAFTA, and NAFTA is good for the economy.

So here you have it, he can withdraw with a 6 month notice. In my opinion he should, this has cost the manufacturing industry a lot of jobs.
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

Default Re: NAFTA: What it is, and why Trump hates it

Scraping NAFTA is a good thing in my mind. We Canadians lost far more than we gained in that debacle.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Now look at what CNN is posting about NAFTA today.
    Canada is now the issue, not Mexico.

America's NAFTA nemesis: Canada, not Mexico

America and Canada are the world's largest trade partners -- even larger than U.S. and China.

President-elect Donald Trump has often slammed Mexico and NAFTA, the trade agreement between the U.S., Mexico and Canada. But Canada is rarely mentioned.

Yet, there have been more NAFTA dispute claims against Canada -- almost all by U.S. companies -- than against Mexico. Even today, Canada has stiff tariffs against the United States and the two sides only recently resolved a bitter dispute over meat.
    Most leaders and experts stress that trade ties between the two nations are strong and mostly positive. But Canada and America have had plenty of battles along the way.

Now Trump wants to renegotiate or terminate NAFTA starting Day 1 of his presidency.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/16/news...ada/index.html
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

Who care,s

Trump is going off as a Howitzer gone berzerk trying desperately to look calm and in control but with his hand, firm on the helm. He will get around to we snow Mexicans soon enough and put us in our place.
    Joseph Joubert

I wish now to retract most of my negative comments regarding Trump. I have been following casually and the man now, minus the election fervour seems more rational, palatable. I am even beginning to believe the man capable of in point of fact, "making America great again". His method seems simple enough, if you want to sell it here, make it here or face heavy taxation.
    Joseph Joubert

I have been saying all along he will be a good, if not great, President.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    I have been saying all along he will be a good, if not great, President.
    I can see him actually building his wall. It may well be a metaphorical wall with armed personnel working 24/7 or land mines for all I know yet a wall none the less.
    Joseph Joubert

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information