Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: a single protein

Default Re: a single protein

It's not allowed because it's not provable. You people who hide behind science for everything love using that line.
    The one exclusive sign of thorough knowledge is the power of teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
    It's not allowed because it's not provable. You people who hide behind science for everything love using that line.
    So you agree that spiritual beliefs are not provable?
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

Of course they are not, barring some sort of event that transcends known laws of the natural universe, what we call a miracle

Do you agree that the start of life based on the scientific explanations currently available, can be proven?
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Do you agree that the start of life based on the scientific explanations currently available, can be proven?
    I don't. Takes more faith than I will ever have.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Morris View Post
    I don't. Takes more faith than I will ever have.
    So, if it were to be proven, would you say your faith was placed in the wrong place?

God created science, however it happened does not disprove his existence.

Is there a scientific explanation for how life first began?
    I thought in order for it to be scientific, it must be observable, repeatable, falsifiable?
    Otherwise it is conjecture.
    The heart of the human problem is the problem of the human heart.

So, if it were to be proven, would you say your faith was placed in the wrong place?
    Interesting. I'll just wait to see. But it seems obvious to me that science is proving Christian to be correct in many cases
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

I find it fascinating, ironic and sad that those who deny that miracles such as creation ever happen and yet ascribe those same creative powers to blind, unguided material processes. Some sort of materialistic energy just happened to burp, and billions of years later, here we are on a planet teeming with life. With humans who cry out for meaning and purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    I find it fascinating, ironic and sad that those who deny that miracles such as creation ever happen and yet ascribe those same creative powers to blind, unguided material processes. Some sort of materialistic energy just happened to burp, and billions of years later, here we are on a planet teeming with life. With humans who cry out for meaning and purpose.
    So true.

What are the chances it all happened by blind chance?

I read somewhere the odds of that occurring are the same as the odds of a tornado ripping through a salvage yard and assembling an airplane in the aftermath, or a monkey pounding on a computer keyboard and somehow coming out with an exact replica of one of Shakespeare's works.

I mean, who really is led by unfounded blind faith more? Christians, or secularists who worship at the altar of science and reason? The answer seems pretty clear.
    Last edited by Aristotle; 4 Days Ago at 12:03 PM.

Are you saying the big bang does not fit in with Christian faith and doctrine?

So true.

What are the chances it all happened by blind chance?

I read somewhere the odds of that occurring are the same as the odds of a tornado ripping through a salvage yard and assembling an airplane in the aftermath, or a monkey pounding on a computer keyboard and somehow coming out with an exact replica of one of Shakespeare's works.

I mean, who really is led by unfounded blind faith more? Christians, or secularists who worship at the altar of science and reason? The answer seems pretty clear.

If you would have asked 300 years ago what the chances were of humans being able to travel the sky, they would have wondered if you lost your mind.
    If you would have asked 150 years ago what the chances were of a human setting foot on the moon, they would have said impossible.
    There are still people today who insist the earth is flat and the moon landing was a hoax and we never said foot on the moon.

The thing to take out of all of this is to never say never, because science eventually will make it possible.

Has anyone provided proof of Godís inexistence? Not even close. Has quantum cosmology explained the emergence of the universe or why it is here? Not even close. Have our sciences explained why our universe seems to be fine-tuned to allow for the existence of life? Not even close. Are physicists and biologists willing to believe in anything so long as it is not religious thought? Close enough. Has rationalism and moral thought provided us with an understanding of what is good, what is right, and what is moral? Not close enough. Has secularism in the terrible 20th century been a force for good? Not even close, to being close. Is there a narrow and oppressive orthodoxy in the sciences? Close enough. Does anything in the sciences or their philosophy justify the claim that religious belief is irrational? Not even in the ball park. Is scientific atheism a frivolous exercise in intellectual contempt? Dead on.Ē
    ― David Berlinski, The Devil's Delusion: Atheism and Its Scientific Pretensions
    And Berlin ski is an Agnostic.

If you would have asked 300 years ago what the chances were of humans being able to travel the sky, they would have wondered if you lost your mind.
    If you would have asked 150 years ago what the chances were of a human setting foot on the moon, they would have said impossible.
    There are still people today who insist the earth is flat and the moon landing was a hoax and we never said foot on the moon.

The thing to take out of all of this is to never say never, because science eventually will make it possible.
    You do not know that, you simply have blind faith it will come to fruition.

So, back to square one.

Are you saying the big bang does not fit in with Christian faith and doctrine?
    How is he saying that?

I believe in "And God said, 'Let there be light' and there was light.

Hans' problem - his blind devotion to scientism.
    Here is a good article on scientism.
    Central to scientism is the grabbing of nearly the entire territory of what were once considered questions that properly belong to philosophy. Scientism takes science to be not only better than philosophy at answering such questions, but the only means of answering them. For most of those who dabble in scientism, this shift is unacknowledged, and may not even be recognized. But for others, it is explicit. Atkins, for example, is scathing in his dismissal of the entire field: “I consider it to be a defensible proposition that no philosopher has helped to elucidate nature; philosophy is but the refinement of hindrance.”
    Is scientism defensible? Is it really true that natural science provides a satisfying and reasonably complete account of everything we see, experience, and seek to understand — of every phenomenon in the universe? And is it true that science is more capable, even singularly capable, of answering the questions that once were addressed by philosophy?

https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publi...y-of-scientism
    Last edited by Bluesky; 3 Days Ago at 09:13 AM.

I believe in "And God said, 'Let there be light' and there was light.
    I just turn on a light bulb, and next thing you know there is also light.

For some reason I think your statement is not really talking about light.

How is he saying that?
    I am simply asking him if he believes in a universe that came into existence, or not.
    He answered that with a non answer to avoid having to answer yes or no.

It's not unusual.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information