Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: a single protein

Default a single protein

The heart of the human problem is the problem of the human heart.

Default Re: a single protein

Reminds me a bit of a guy I've been listening to a lot lately.

Like your science and religion mixed? Here you go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZtkTx9QF2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-pp2HrgG9I
    The one exclusive sign of thorough knowledge is the power of teaching.

Hey, I am inclined to believe the shroud is genuine. That Fr Spitzer must have a huge brain! To be so accomplished academically and blind to boot.

He really is something. I stumbled across his show while searching for something else about a year ago, and have been hooked ever since. The guy's intelligence is off the charts. I've been listening to him and N.T. Wright a lot lately. Even if I wanted to become an unbeliever, I couldn't after listening to these two intellectual titans.

His blindness is actually a new thing, he had sight up until a few years ago. Now has some rare degenerative eye disease.

This is his newest site. He takes up the secular challenge to explain and 'prove' god on purely reason and scientific terms, and he delivers TKO after TKO. He proves that it actually takes more blind faith (no pun intended) to believe the universe and all creation simply happened by chance than by some intelligent designer.

https://www.crediblecatholic.com/
    Last edited by Aristotle; 5 Days Ago at 10:28 AM.

His other site: https://www.magiscenter.com/

If you're interested in NDE (near death experiences), this site is a goldmine

There are 10 to 24th stars, way more planets than that, and impossible to calculate number of asteroids and other pieces of space rock floating in the observable universe.

Or if you want something more tangible, how many grains of sand are present on this planet?

So yes, perfectly possible over a period of 13.8 billion years. (approximate age of the observable universe).

Or if you want another brain teaser, out of all the grains of sand on this planet, try to find 2 identical ones.
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

perfectly possible over a period of 13.8 billion years.
    ??

Not even plausible. Besides, your claim is merely a "bald assertion". It is not an argument to say "Is too" - "Is not". Thus I responded in kind.

You need to say more than that, Hans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    There are 10 to 24th stars, way more planets than that, and impossible to calculate number of asteroids and other pieces of space rock floating in the observable universe.

Or if you want something more tangible, how many grains of sand are present on this planet?

So yes, perfectly possible over a period of 13.8 billion years. (approximate age of the observable universe).

Or if you want another brain teaser, out of all the grains of sand on this planet, try to find 2 identical ones.
    What is this in response to?

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
    What is this in response to?
    Origin: Probability of a Single Protein Forming by Chance
    i5 2500K at 4.9 Ghz, H100, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition, 2 x 8GB Hyper X Fury, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    ??

Not even plausible. Besides, your claim is merely a "bald assertion". It is not an argument to say "Is too" - "Is not". Thus I responded in kind.

You need to say more than that, Hans.

A chance is an interesting thing.
    Have you ever played a lottery?

That and you will have to say something about it not being plausible besides posting a video link.

I am going to do the same, using a counter link: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/abioprob.html

But Hans, you have not yet responded to the assertions made in the video link except to say "is not.."

Well, I was going to be using the lottery example.

A chance is exactly that, a chance.
    It does not mean you have to go first thru every possible combination in order to get the desired result.
    That's why I said a chance is an interesting thing.

This could have happened on the first random event, or the millionth, or the billionth etc...

Its like playing the lottery but just with lower odds. You could be a winner on the next draw.

You could be a winner on the next draw.
    more 'what ifs", ...I'm sad

Well, I was going to be using the lottery example.

A chance is exactly that, a chance.
    It does not mean you have to go first thru every possible combination in order to get the desired result.
    That's why I said a chance is an interesting thing.

This could have happened on the first random event, or the millionth, or the billionth etc...

Its like playing the lottery but just with lower odds. You could be a winner on the next draw.

Yeah, I get that. But now you have to repeat that lucky shot, by random chance, a zillion times over to get from the first single cell to an upright hominid. PLUS once life forms started dividing via gender lines, female AND male would have to evolve BY CHANCE in such a way that reproduction was possible. In every species. Do you still feel lucky? This is why the blind chance theory requires a greater blind faith than an intelligent Designer being involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    Yeah, I get that. But now you have to repeat that lucky shot, by random chance, a zillion times over to get from the first single cell to an upright hominid. PLUS once life forms started dividing via gender lines, female AND male would have to evolve BY CHANCE in such a way that reproduction was possible. In every species. Do you still feel lucky? This is why the blind chance theory requires a greater blind faith than an intelligent Designer being involved.
    Just pointing out you switched from protein to cell, so I guess we can continue on cells?

That's where you are wrong again in the way you reason (illogically) about it.
    Cells do not evolve sequentially or serially, they evolve parallel.
    That's why I was using the grains of sand on earth as an example, just to show you the massive amount of cells that can exist, all randomly combining and dying off at the same time, few evolving further, most not.
    If you use a process of gazillions of cells combining over a period of lets say a billion years, just think about how many combinations have happened in that time frame.
    I don't think we are even able to comprehend the size of such a number.

There's around 37 trillion cells in a human body.
    Did you know that 99% of human DNA is identical in every human? There's only 1% difference out of the 3 billion bases that make up our DNA.
    What you need the most is the very first thing DNA needs: the ability to replicate itself. That's really the one you need before anything else. That is the crucial thing you need.

Did you know that the average human body replicates around 50 to 70 billion cells per day? And we are currently almost at 7.5 billion people inhabiting earth, so you do the math on the amount of cells that get replicated each day just in humans.
    Than you have all animal life and plant life, that does the same thing, but with different cells.
    The daily numbers are staggering.
    Now think about those numbers in the past 2,000 years. Even more staggering.
    It's also again an example of how cells truly replicate: parallel, not sequential. As in I do not have to wait until your body has finished replicating it's cells before I can start replicating mine. We all replicate cells continuously and have been for as long as we have existed as a species.

But the easiest way to show you how amazing cell replication works, is the making of a human.
    It starts with 1 single cell. No, it's not magic or Godly intervention. It's nature at work.
    What did you say again about the chances of a single cell to an upright hominid?

Quote Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
    more 'what ifs", ...I'm sad
    Somebody has to be a winner, maybe even more than 1 winner.
    Why be sad when someones wins?

Chances are high there will be a winner, but it is also possible there will not be a winner.
    If you played, you could be the next winner.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information