Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Fires

  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,100

    Default Fires

    Call me crazy, but I have a hard time believing all the fires as of late in this city are all accidents.

    It should be clear by now this is not coincidence.
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

  2. #2
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,572

    Default Re: Fires

    Each, in turn, is investigated and found not suspicious so if that is good enough for them, it is good enough for me. Cold hard winter, it puts a strain on older wiring and those damned auxiliary heaters draw so very much power it is easy to overload a circuit.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,100

    Default Re: Fires

    Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    Each, in turn, is investigated and found not suspicious so if that is good enough for them, it is good enough for me. Cold hard winter, it puts a strain on older wiring and those damned auxiliary heaters draw so very much power it is easy to overload a circuit.
    I am not buying it. Time will tell.

    And also, the old wiring talk is bogus. Overloading a circuit will cause the breaker/fuse feeding the circuit to open up and power the circuit down.
    It's not because it is "old wiring" it catches fire easily.

    So unless they can release the causes of each of these fires, which they have not done yet, I am betting they are not random.
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

  4. #4

    Default Re: Fires

    I think if you believe everything is a conspiracy, you will be right 10% of the time. If you believe nothing is a conspiracy you will be right 90% of the time. I choose coincidence on this one.
    The cat didn't come back the very next day but he does check in every now and then.

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,100

    Default Re: Fires

    And there's another one.
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

  6. #6
    Senior Member theShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    same place
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Fires

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Call me crazy

    Ok, you're crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    This is an abuse of moderator powers.

  7. #7
    Senior Member theShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    same place
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Fires

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    I am not buying it. Time will tell.

    And also, the old wiring talk is bogus. Overloading a circuit will cause the breaker/fuse feeding the circuit to open up and power the circuit down.
    It's not because it is "old wiring" it catches fire easily.

    So unless they can release the causes of each of these fires, which they have not done yet, I am betting they are not random.

    Having done quite a bit of reno and rehab work around town, I thing the overloaded circuit explanation is sound. So many of these buildings are older and were never designed to carry the electrical loads that they do. Old breakers do not trip all the time, and breakers that do trip all the time eventually fail. Many panels in the older buildings still have fuses, and it isn't unreasonable that a 15a fuse that keeps blowing might get replaced with a 20a or even higher. Plus, old wiring that has had the insulation rot /fall off, uninspected "upgrades" causing overloads, shorts and arcs, aluminum wiring, **** and tube, etc. Throw in a few 1800watt space heaters on overloaded 15 amp circuits with substandard wiring, and an oversized fuse and there you go.



    Of course, that doesn't mean that they are all not arson, but if arson is suspected in a fire that causes injury or death, you would hear about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    This is an abuse of moderator powers.

  8. #8
    Senior Member theShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    same place
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Fires

    wow. soonet screens out k-n-o-b and tube wiring.


    Plus the fires also coinciding with the polar vortex (or cold snap to Canadians over 30), would seem to support the space heater theory. Throw in a hot plate and a coffee maker on a circuit that was never designed for more than a couple of lamps and there you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    This is an abuse of moderator powers.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Fires

    Probably because that was my nickname for the sound guy.
    The cat didn't come back the very next day but he does check in every now and then.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,100

    Default Re: Fires

    Quote Originally Posted by theShadow View Post
    Having done quite a bit of reno and rehab work around town, I thing the overloaded circuit explanation is sound. So many of these buildings are older and were never designed to carry the electrical loads that they do. Old breakers do not trip all the time, and breakers that do trip all the time eventually fail. Many panels in the older buildings still have fuses, and it isn't unreasonable that a 15a fuse that keeps blowing might get replaced with a 20a or even higher. Plus, old wiring that has had the insulation rot /fall off, uninspected "upgrades" causing overloads, shorts and arcs, aluminum wiring, **** and tube, etc. Throw in a few 1800watt space heaters on overloaded 15 amp circuits with substandard wiring, and an oversized fuse and there you go.



    Of course, that doesn't mean that they are all not arson, but if arson is suspected in a fire that causes injury or death, you would hear about it.
    I am sure you know that a 20A fuse does not fit in a 15A socket, unless you "mod" it. But that would be obvious to an inspector.
    We will see, but in the last 20 winters I have not seen as many large fires as I have this winter.
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

  11. #11
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,572

    Default Re: Fires

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    I am sure you know that a 20A fuse does not fit in a 15A socket, unless you "mod" it. But that would be obvious to an inspector.
    We will see, but in the last 20 winters, I have not seen as many large fires as I have this winter.
    Not true Hans. Fuse bases are all shared with regular sized light bulbs and therefore interchangeable. I have in the past when living in older structures and not versed in electrics traded heavier fuses for smaller amperages with some regularity.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,100

    Default Re: Fires

    Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    Not true Hans. Fuse bases are all shared with regular sized light bulbs and therefore interchangeable. I have in the past when living in older structures and not versed in electrics traded heavier fuses for smaller amperages with some regularity.
    Those are type D fuses and you might still see those in very old homes.
    Those have all been replaced by type S fuses for the obvious reason I mentioned above.
    I would highly suggest if you do have type D fuses to replace them with type S adapters ASAP.

    But even with type D it will still be obvious to an inspector, unless you managed to melt the whole panel down.
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

  13. #13
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,572

    Default Re: Fires

    Last summer I came across k nob and tube still being employed in a structure on Cathcart. Many additions had been made to the system with as many as six tying into existing k nob and tube.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  14. #14
    Senior Member theShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    same place
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Fires

    Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    Last summer I came across k nob and tube still being employed in a structure on Cathcart. Many additions had been made to the system with as many as six tying into existing k nob and tube.
    Ya, there's still quite a bit of old wiring. I used to run into fuse panels and 60A services quite a bit when I was still doing service work. Many many handyman special type jobs out there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky View Post
    This is an abuse of moderator powers.

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,100

    Default Re: Fires

    And another fire today.
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

  16. #16
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,100

    Default Re: Fires

    And another fire today.
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

  17. #17
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,572

    Default Re: Fires

    Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    And another fire today.
    Are you hearing voices or subscribing to any conspiracy theories yet? What are your views on contrails Hans?
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  18. #18

    Default Re: Fires

    Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    Are you hearing voices or subscribing to any conspiracy theories yet? What are your views on contrails Hans?
    I don't have a view on them because the substances that the government puts in them to control the weather also make me allergic to sharing my opinions.
    The cat didn't come back the very next day but he does check in every now and then.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Anapeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    just ever so slightly before the grave
    Posts
    9,572

    Default Re: Fires

    Quote Originally Posted by Official Cat of Soonet View Post
    I don't have a view on them because the substances that the government puts in them to control the weather also make me allergic to sharing my opinions.
    Ah, the grasp while strong is slipping slowly away none the less. I will watch this with interest as I sit here waiting for SNC Lavolan to send my hookers over.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

  20. #20
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    17,100

    Default Re: Fires

    Quote Originally Posted by Anapeg View Post
    Are you hearing voices or subscribing to any conspiracy theories yet? What are your views on contrails Hans?
    contrails are like flat earthers: does not exist.
    2600X at 4.25 Ghz, CLC 240, OCZ Vertex 4, Corsair M4, Samsung EVO 850, Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070, 2 x 8GB Trident Z RGB, Corsair 600T, Samsung 2443BW, Asus PB278Q 2560x1440

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts