Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A decolonized citizenship ceremony is a step towards reconciliation

Default A decolonized citizenship ceremony is a step towards reconciliation

I fail to understand these newcomers. If you don't want to live on "stolen" land, you have options:

- Return to where you came from.
    - Return the stolen land you own to the native community. Nobody is stopping you from
    donating what you own.
    - Accept history for what it is and enjoy what Canada has to offer.

Also, you should research the country you are planning on living. These days there's no excuse not to be able to know the history of any country on this planet. You can look it up using the internet.

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/...iation-4199885

Most newcomers arrive in Canada with no knowledge of the country’s dark history.

“Canada is always marketed and displayed as this very welcoming place,” says Abouzaid, who, like many other immigrants, was shocked to learn the truth.

Abouzaid’s maternal grandmother is Palestinian. So, “the idea of stolen land and the dehumanization of people and the erasure of their history are things that I grew up around,” says Abouzaid. “When I found out about the history [of Canada], there was this moment where I was like, ‘I’m a hypocrite. I am living on stolen land, and how is that any different?’”

Newcomers arrive in “a land that doesn’t belong to the people that are giving them the permission to come to this land,” says Bilgrami. “There’s no avenue for them to actually learn about the history in a true way, and then to even understand their roles as settlers on this land.”
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

Default Re: A decolonized citizenship ceremony is a step towards reconciliation

Is there anyone living anywhere that the land they claim has not been wrested from another? It was and still is in some instances the way business has been conducted. Hundreds of thousands lay dead on in and under the ground they fought to defend. We were taught the history of lands being savagely disputed yet not on a tear was shed.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

Every country has a dark history. I can't think of any that does not.
    What matters is what the country currently stands for, and I would say Canada is pretty good to live in.

I just cannot believe someone would emigrate to Canada and be "surprised" to hear about the native history.
    Alienware R10 3700X RTX 3080, Samsung 2443BW, Benq SW2700PT

Anyone with any education should have at the very least basic knowledge of our past.
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
    Joseph Joubert

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information