Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions for unaltered male.

Default Suggestions for unaltered male.

OK, now you all know I'm an animal nut, and I'm not irresponsible so I'm asking everyone to be nice.

I recently bought two more pugs, had them since the end of May. The female has just gone into heat again unexpectedly, (Thankfully she wasn't pregnant the first time), and we haven't had the male fixed yet. they will BOTH be fixed but as we know, it's not safe right now for the female. And those who know understand that if I had him fixed today, I still have to worry about it for another month.

Problem is the male is sooooooo focused on the female that he won't even eat. We make them BOTH wear diapers and when we can't be "right there" we put them in their separate kennels. How do I get the male to eat, it's been 3 days without food and I'm getting worried. He cries and whines and watches her. He's little to begin with, he can't afford to lose weight. I'm at the point where I may try canned food for him but would rather not.

OK, any suggestions?
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

Default Re: Suggestions for unaltered male.

Maybe canned food might be an only option for now. Maybe just try a very little bit, and mix it with the dry. Have you ever tried tripe? They love it too, and it's rich in omegas and ensures proper nutrition for a dog or cat off their diet. If I could suggest though to just use a little, maybe nuke it so it's softer, therefore it spreads better into the kibble. It may be spoiling them a bit, and may be harder to get them on just their plain food later, but for now, it's better than nothing.
    Good luck.

Thanks, have had tripe before, smells awful but they seemed to like it. Unfortunately I'm stuck at work till after YIPS is closed.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

Alot of people have used hamburger and rice mixed together. Maybe you can try something like that until you can get something better.
    They say that dogs won't starve themselves. Although its probably true, it's still scary. Good luck once again.

I think I'll try that.
    Unfortunately I believe this little guy is lacking in the smarts department while she's in heat and probably would starve.

3 days without food is absurd.
    Thank you.

lol, loopy it's just like a zoo at your house. Is there any way you could have him "visit" someone elses house while she's in heat? He would probably eat is she was away from him. Be careful giving him anything other than his food because it might be a little rich for his system. PMed you too.

He's eating again! It only took a day of bribery with something different and for the girls not to be around.

Snip, snip is next!! For both of them.

lol good news loopy

Speaking about unaltered males, a long time ago my friend had a female dog in heat. There was a little shaggy male poochie who lived across the street from her. He walked across the street every day he was let loose, and sat outside their house, pining away for the love of his life.

Well, it was winter and one afternoon was warmer than usual. He sat in his usual place until it started getting dark. Of course the temperature was dropping.

His owners finally called him to come home but he couldn't get up. His little a55 was frozen to the ground, and they had to pour warm water on the snow to free him.

Now that's REAL puppy love. lololol

hp2

omg as much as thats not funny it is~~~

that is cute gouilgann [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif[/img]

I'm sooo glad that it's not winter. That was hilarious!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information