Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Piece of advice for LARGE dog owners

Guru Power Poster

Default Piece of advice for LARGE dog owners

My words of wisdom for the day: The second your dog asks to go outside, LET THEM OUT!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img]

I was snoozing on the couch the other night and I guess Ivan (nearly 200 lbs Great Dane) had to pee. He doesn't come and whine at me like Stella does, he just paces between the back door and the living room. So, needless to say, it didn't wake me up.

I did wake up eventually and he was still pacing and seemed upset, so I got up to let him out and noticed a HUGE wet spot in the middle of the carpet. I should also mention that my dear Ivan likes to walk when he pees...so there were circles of pee all over the carpet (kinda like if you took a garden hose and twirled it around) [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif[/img]

My kitchen floor was also one HUGE puddle...and it's not that small of a kitchen...

That's my funny story for the day...something for all you potential Dane owners to ponder lmao Housetraining a 2-approx 6 month old (and nearly 100 lbs) Dane puppy was a *you know what* but it happens when they're bigger, too! lol

Here's my gorgeous man
    Busy. Irritated. Leave me alone.

GRUMPY

Default Re: Piece of advice for LARGE dog owners

same goes for a small dog too.

Guru Power Poster

A small dog wouldn't have left my kitchen ankle deep with pee [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

GRUMPY

I guess you've never met Millie then.

Guru Power Poster

I'm sure Ivan's bladder is the same size as your dog. Millie would have had their own swimming pool in my kitchen.

Ivan is a gorgeous boy and I think he knows it!! What a beauty.
    Splish, splash you were taking a bath.

lol i hear ya i had to get rid of my area rug and my kitchen rug, when they pee its never ending lol here is my man Duke

If someone speaks badly of you, live so that none will believe it!

Duke is a beautiful boy!! I like bigger dogs but that is alot of dog.

Guru Power Poster

Duke's face looks a lot like another Dane I know lol He's a handsome boy!

I need to put some weight on Ivan...he's getting too skinny (even though I'm feeding him a ton of kibble plus canned stuff) [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img] His spine is showing a little bit and you can see a few of his ribs...ugh.

Well then, hand him over, lol

Guru Power Poster

You know where I live [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif[/img]

I actually have to come in tomorrow to pick up some food. I go through it much too quickly, yet he's still too skinny lol

Oh yeah, remember Stella's nose?? It's swelling up in the exact same spot again. Weird.

I have 2 big dogs and have becomed fine-tuned to that click click click of the nails on the kitchen floor leading to the patio door out to the deck. My dogs don't whine to go out, but they pace and click. Now that we have that wonderfully washable click flooring, it's far easier to hear the "click click click, I have to go pee, let me out". We have that flooring throughout the whole house except the upstairs bedrooms (they are next), just did our downstairs and ripped out all our rugs down there - it's so much easier to clean than rugs. I was tired of shampooing kitty hairballs off the rugs and dealing with other things found on the rugs.

if ivan is losing weight despite eating a lot maybe you should get him to the vet

Guru Power Poster

Well, he's not losing so much that I'm concerned. He just has a few bones starting to show and I don't want him looking like a starvation victim like some Danes and other dogs I see around town.

Guru Power Poster

Pooches, I'm in the process of putting laminate in my entire upstairs and I have real hardwood under the carpet in the livingroom. I'm not sure if I want to put laminate downstairs, as well...or if I want to chance the Danes shredding the hardwood [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img] Either way, I'm sick of vaccuming twice a day and steam cleaning every week lol

And I probably wouldn't have heard him walking on laminate, either lol At least not enough to wake me up [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif[/img]

GRUMPY

Just found out mine has a bad ticker so she's on water pills so shes been going steady but no accidents yet. She is the type where she'd die of embarrassment if she had one.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information