Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My headlight keeps burning out-any ideas?

Becoming a Regular Here

Default My headlight keeps burning out-any ideas?

The fuses are good but my headlight keeps burning out. I suspect that moisture is getting in and shorting it out but how do I stop this? I am replacing the damn light once every couple of weeks.

J*B

Default Re: My headlight keeps burning out-any ideas?

A new sealed headlamp cannot get moisture in it, possibly the wires that plug into it are getting shorted somewhere.
    I would check the wires and make sure there are no bare spots, and tape them if I found any. Other than that it could be a job for a garage if you can't find the problem.

if you have plastic covers on your headlight more then likely you are getting moisture in there and it builds up. when it does build up you have water in there and cold water will pop a hot headlight right away. if you do have water build up then try to drill a couple small holes in the bottom to drain it out or buy new ones

J*B

I don't think a plastic cover would be responsible for the same light burning out in such a short time.

if they are composite lights they more then likely have a plastic cover. now if they are sealed beam they they are a glass bulb. if they are sealed then that might be a wiring issue

If they are halogen you must not touch the glass as you install them. The oils in your skin will damage the bulb.

Is it sealed beam (bulb and lens all one piece) or composite (bulb and lens seperate pieces). If they are composite, make sure that there is no moisture in the housing. Don't touch the glass on the new bulb, if you do hapopen to touch the glass, clean it with alcohol (100%, not the cheaper 70% or the 50% dollar store stuff)or methyl hydrate. Make sure that the connector is a tight fit, and not intermittent. Is your charging system charging within the correct voltage range? If it is overcharging at too high a voltage, it'll cause bulbs to blow prematurely as well. And lastly, do as suggested and check the wiring for any bare wiring.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information