Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: matted hair on my cat

Default matted hair on my cat

Is it from not brushing {long hair cat }. It shouldn't mat like that just from being in the house. any suggestions?,thx
    That's what she said !

Default Re: matted hair on my cat

Our cat had matted hair and I was told it was from not brushing him enough. I had to get the clumps cut off. He looked like hell for a few weeks but the hair is growing back,and yes, I brush him now.

Is her coat oily? Where is she matted?
    Adopting one pet will not change the world but, it will change the world for that one pet.

no, his coat is dry. she is matted in the hind quarters. thx bobtoe
    That's what she said !

longhair cats will usually mat anywhere where there is a crease or fold (armpits, groin area, behind the ears, under chin, around the base of the tail...) the best way to prevent matting is regular brushing. if the mats can't be combed out they will have to be cut or clipped. keep in mind, cats have thin skin, especially as they age... so don't try to pull the mats out

My one big orange cat had the same problem just on his hind quarters, that was the only place. When he went for his shots two months ago, the vet took her electric clippers, and shaved (no charge by the way, just paid for the shots). It took her just a minute. He also has the longer hair, but there are no clumps anywhere else. The vet used buzzers but she knows what she is doing down there, I didn't want to try it myself.

My big border collie mix also gets these mats behind his ears, but they are easy to clip off with little blunt-edged kid scissors.

Some matting in indoor cats is caused by static electricity from running across carpet, floor, beds... anything. If this is a constant problem I suggest getting a made for pets leave-in conditioner spray to reduce the static.Just spritz it on and rub into the coat this will help reduce the static on her fur. Ususally picked up at any pet store.
    Another way is to pet your cat with a dryer sheet a couple times a week to reduce the static.
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

I have the same issue with my pom...she mats in the creases...I brush her everyday but its very hard to get in behind her legs...I usually just cut the mats out or wait till she gets groomed

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information