Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sooo got any good back to school lunch ideas

Default Sooo got any good back to school lunch ideas

There is only soooo much you can do with sandwiches.....we are gonna try sandwiches on softshell toco's instead of bread this year....the bread gets to soggy.....LOL
    just wondering what all you mom's/dad's put in your kids lunch boxes.....maybe get a few NEW ideas.........I have one son that will eat pretty much anything....the other one is picky, picky,
    doesnt like veggies and doesnt like fruit, just oranges.....will take a lettuce and cheese salad sometimes other than that....veggies are NOT do-able.......

any ideas would be GREATLY appreaciated.....

Simba

Default Re: Sooo got any good back to school lunch ideas

Good topic T wolfe!!

Instead of sandwiches sometimes I buy lunch meat that each of my boys like, brick cheese and crackers and make my own lunchables.

My boys also like yogurt and granola. I buy the Master Choice box of granola cereal and whatever kind of yogurt the kids prefer.

Deviled eggs are a huge hit here.

My guys (hubby included)..lol also like cold elbow noodles with diced tomatoes and either Italian dressing or Tomatoe and Basil salad dressing topped with Parm cheese. You can substitute the tomatoes with for somthing else your kids like. It's a great side dish for dinner too.

Egg salad sandwiches

Bagels and creamcheese or butter

Simba

Here is a link you might find helpful.

http://www.peelregion.ca/health/nutr...ll/lunches.htm

Softshell taco's or the Wonder "Wraps" are a huge hit with my gang. They aren't fussy on alot of bread, so these are perfect as they aren't really thick. My oldest loves them with some mayo spread on them, slice or two of ham then some shredded cheese sprinkled over it and roll it up.

My second oldest is my fussy eater, I make a lot of muffins through out the year. That's one way I found to sneak in some extra fruits (bananas) into his lunch without him putting up a fuss!

I have a question...my kids LOVE those noodle things, you know the ones that you add hot water too and leave for a few minutes? If I was to make some up in the morning, drain the water off and throw in a thermos do you think they'd be really mushy by lunch?

Meant to try doing that this weekend but I forgot to grab a little thermos, just to see if it would be overly mushy or not. Figured with draining the broth off it wouldn't be. (My kids don't usually drink all the broth, but they love the noodles).
    ♪♫**.❤.**♫♪♪♫**.❤.**♫♪♪♫**. ❤.**♫♪

we tried those noodles a couple of years back...only thing was we didnt drain the water off.......oh man big mistake....the noodles swelled up and the lid blew off......what a mess my daughter had........dont know what would happen if you drained all the broth off......we just didnt send them anymore....maybe I should try that, cause they both love those noodles...

Simba...I have in the past cut up bologna and ham with crackers and cheese they seem to like it as long as it's not more than 2 times a week......they get bored with it......LOL

and I go across the river and buy the corn dogs>>>you guys call them pogo's.....you get a box of 24 for $4.98 at Wal-mart....they take those once or twice a week....but like everything else they get tired of those also...good buy though

we do raviolis once in a while....or fried parogies...and sour cream.........

my picky one likes to take mac-n-cheese with cut up hot dogs in them...but I dont like doing the hot dog thing to much....
    seems like everything I put in thier lunch is junk.....and my picky one, to much sugar is NOT good for him....he is hyper....
    seems like everything has sugar in it or fat........

If you make Mr. Noodles and drain the broth out, they keep just fine. Our daughter loves them and takes them once in a while in her lunch in a small thermos.

We do wraps with anything.. salads, chicken, meat and cheese. You name it, we make it and she loves it.

Stews, soups and pasta are all great things for a small thermos and we do that a lot in the winter so she has a hot lunch.

Bagels are also a great alternative to a plain sandwich and you can put whatever you want on them (or whatever you can get them to eat lol)

When the weather gets too warm to eat anything big we pack all different sorts of salads, sometimes a plastic container with meat, cheese and cool crackers.

Our daughter loves fruit and veggies so we can pack her anything like that... usually send a dip with either as well. Multi grain nacho chips with homemade salsa... YUM!!

There are so many different things you can do. Just find out what they like and create it in different ways. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

I don't think anyone has mentioned pitas or sandwiches on the square bagels that they have out now.

Awesome topic, just what I need to get my brain wrapped around back to school! Someone started one in the soapbox too but I'm waiting for it to be moved here!
    LIFE IS SHORT: BREAK THE RULES! FORGIVE QUICKLY! LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY! KISS SLOWLY! LOVE TRULY!

At rome's you can now buy peanut free cookies or mini cake loafs for $3.49 and there's 10/12 in a pack. It's a new product

Simba

Sorry to go off topic, but something that bugs me is how the schools are so big into healthy eating and choices...how the hell do they justify 2 pizza days a month with pop and ice cream treats as choices?? Plus the popcorn days!!! Then they have the nerve to try and make us buy milk in the milk program try to promote healthy choices??? It makes me so angry!!

2 pizza days a month???.........starting the 19th our school has pizza day every week (Wednesday's) till the end of school 2.50 a slice......and if they want ice cream they can buy that also any day of the week.....and they get a healthy snack that the school gives out twice a week........I dont buy the milk stuff......my kids take juice........

Bring back the days when the kids actually got a good hot meal cooked right at the school.....I had that when I was in school in the states.....most of the schools still have it down there.....I was shocked when I moved up here and they didnt have a caffateria where you got served hot lunch.....and sometimes breakfast..........didnt cost much either was $2.00 a day I think.....and if there were left overs the kids got seconds....but were talking sloppy joes, salad, veggie and milk is generally what you got.....chili the next day....speghetti the next....plus you didnt have to eat in your class room either.....oh well

we do buy the jello fruit cups, and puddings, this week though they have really liked the softtoco shell's instead of bread.....thats a big plus here.....

I don't know about all of the schools here in Thunder Bay, but at our daughter's school they provide a healthy breakfast program as well as a lunch program you can enroll them in. Milk is offered every day. Their hot lunch program is amazing!! It's like getting dinner for lunch. lol

They also have pizza day and hot dog day alternating Thursdays which is ok, just as long as they're eating healthy the rest of the time.

Alternating days for pizza and hotdogs would be good, the every Wednesday pizza days at 2.50 a peice is a bit much but my husband doesn't want my son to bring a sandwich when other kids in his class have pizza. Not everyone in his class can afford the price of a peice every week! I don't send money to school with my son because I don't know if he will make the right choice for a snack at school. I do like the milk program, and usually get him a mix of chocolate and white.
    I will send him with the ramen noodles without the liquid for him that is a good idea!
    LIFE IS SHORT: BREAK THE RULES! FORGIVE QUICKLY! LAUGH UNCONTROLLABLY! KISS SLOWLY! LOVE TRULY!

I wish we had that here Brat for our schools.....
    and Tazma5 I know what you mean about the pizza prices....
    I would do it every once in while myself....but wow it all adds up..........

Simba

We usually just have pizza here or I make it myself and send it with them for pizza days. It works out to be a bit cheaper.

Our daughter doesn't really take part in the breakfast program because if she's going to eat in the morning, it's when she's still at home. I think it's more for the kids that don't get healthy food at home or for the ones that have to leave too early in the morning.

I don't think it would be that hard to organize though. The school sent home a letter about it and the milk is donated through churches, the bread is donated through a local bread company, the fruit is donated from one of the grocery stores etc. The kids can also make a lunch for themselves if they need to when they are there in the morning.

If someone really took a bit of time I'm sure it could be put in force quite easily. It's all about finding the donations for it and making sure there is an adult there to supervise it all. That could be taken care of with parent volunteers. This program is free for all children to go to.

The lunch program is kind of different, they have to be enrolled in it and parents have to pay to have them in it (very very reasonable prices) but it's still a super idea considering the nutritional and convenience factors. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

if you have a deep enough thermos, pour boiling water in it and drop in a few hotdogs, by the time lunch (or nutrition break depending on the school) rolls around they are perfectly cooked

My daughter's all time favourite food is tuna wraps. we mix one can of tuna with some grated cheese and some mayo or miracle whip, spread it onto 10" whole wheat tortillas and roll it up. One can makes 2 wraps.

We also like making mini sandwiches using Vinta crackers and cheese slices. One half of a cheese slice fits perfectly on one of the crackers, which we butter lightly. Okay, so cheese slices aren't the healthiest thing, but they are tasty little snacks.
    I am not merely a mass of molecules, incoherently careening through time and space. I am a child of God, destined for another world, a world before which this one pales in significance. Our spiritual preparation for the next world is to be the priority of this life.

I found these ideas for school lunches too. Some have peanut butter added but you can substitute with pea butter I guess. I want to try it to see if it is similar to peanut butter. Anyone know?

1. Everyone loves pasta salad. Throw together some leftover pasta, some veggies, ham or whatever else your kids like, and you're set. Pack some dressing to add at lunch time.

2. Grill an extra chicken breast while you're using the barbecue. Chill it, then cut the meat into strips. Pack some containers of dipping sauce (sweet and sour, honey mustard, barbecue) to go with it. Or, if you have some leftover turkey, cut it into cubes and pack it in a plastic container. Send along a container of cranberry sauce for dipping.

3. Pack some homemade bean salad in a plastic container. Add a muffin or a buttered roll to go with it.

4. Sprinkle shredded cheese on a tortilla, top with another tortilla, and cook on an ungreased griddle until the cheese is melted and it's lightly toasted on each side. Let cool, then cut into wedges like a pizza. Pack some salsa for dipping. Spread a tortilla with cream cheese, sprinkle with chopped raw vegetables, and roll up. Cut into 1 in. (2 cm) slices and pack in a plastic container. Or do the same thing with peanut butter (if there are no peanut allergies at your child's school) and banana or jam.

5. Pack some delicious hummus in a plastic container. Cut a pita up into wedges for dipping along with some carrot sticks, celery sticks, broccoli, cauliflower, green pepper - whatever your child likes. Send along a few potato or tortilla chips - just to make it seem like party food.

6. Make some salami roll-ups. Spread thin slices of salami with mustard or cheese, lay a pickle spear on top, roll up and secure with toothpicks. Pack into a plastic container.

7. Cut up some cheese and meat (chicken, ham, kolbassa, whatever) into cubes and pack in a multi-sectioned plastic container. Use some fancy toothpicks to spear the cubes. Or send along a few crackers.

8. Cut a pita bread in half, and pack it in a plastic bag. Send along assorted things to stuff in the pocket like shredded lettuce, tuna salad, alfalfa sprouts, canned chickpeas, grated cheese, chopped hard-boiled egg, and a little container of salad dressing to drizzle on top.

9. Contrary to popular myth, cold pizza is not disgusting. Wrap a slice or two in plastic for lunch. Or make a bagel pizza. Cut a bagel in half, spread with spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with shredded cheese and pepperoni. Bake until the cheese is melted, then let cool completely and wrap in plastic.

10. Make a banana bread sandwich. Spread homemade banana bread with peanut butter or cream cheese, cut into long fingers and pack in a plastic container.

11. Spread a tortilla with refried beans and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Fold in the sides, roll up, and wrap in plastic. Send along a container of shredded lettuce and some salsa to add at lunch. Or make a chicken taco instead. Spread some salsa on the tortilla, top with shredded, cooked chicken and shredded lettuce. Fold up and wrap.

12. Make some mini-quiches using frozen tart shells or your own homemade pastry, or pick some up at the deli counter. Pack a couple in the lunch box - they're good cold! Make a mini-submarine sandwich out of a hot dog bun, some sliced meats and cheeses and shredded lettuce (hot peppers? olives?). If you really want to go all the way, pack a small container of salad dressing to pour over the fillings at lunchtime.

13. You've heard of ants on a log - what about ants in a log? Stuff lengths of celery along the crease with peanut butter or cream cheese. Insert the ants (raisins, by the way) into the stuffing, and then squish another peanut butter- or cheese- stuffed celery on top - trapping the ants inside. Wrap tightly in plastic.

14. Even the most devoted PB & J fans enjoy a little variety now and again. Try pairing one of the following ingredients with peanut butter for a taste twist on the classic combination.

Sliced bananas

Brown sugar

Honey

Bacon

Sliced apples

Raisins

Chopped, pitted dates

Grated carrots

Wheat germ and honey

Fluff or marshmallow creme

Those are some awesome ideas! I will have to try them (minus the tuna and peanut butter ones because they aren't allowed to bring them to school here).

I'm sure she'll love the variety. A lot of them are healthy but seem like "fun" foods for kids. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information