Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How many is too many??

Default How many is too many??

How many dogs do you currently have? What do you do when you go out? Does anyone take their dogs with them? I am considering adding to my pack, we have a great routine now with 3 but I have read that even numbers are better.

Default Re: How many is too many??

We only have the one. When we are gone doing running around for a few hours or an appointment the dog is in the basement running free down there. He has a bed and all that set up for him there. If we are gone for a long day and we know we can bring him with us then we bring him. We do not leave him in a vehicle. I would love to add another to the pack at a later date but right now one works for us.

I have 3, we've had up to 7 at once.

It depends on your sanity level to be honest, nothing to do w/even #'s.

When I go out, the dogs are in the dog room ( a bedroom just for them)

We currently have 5 dogs. Four pugs (they tag team each other) and one very large dog who babysits them and plays with all of them at once. (I believe he thinks he's one of them)

We don't take the dogs anywhere public as we don't have time to go anywhere except when we go canoeing or fishing. We usually take two pugs and sometimes the big guy, depends on what we'll be doing.
    We have trails in the bush behind the house and a very large yard so they have no shortage of exercise room. If we lived in town we'd probably walk all of them together as they all get along very well.

There is always someone available to babysit them or we don't go.

We find that our pugs pair up. I had two then bought another two so the pairing may be a result of that. They also "choose" one to pick on and usually my older female has to step in to settle the younger ones down. Each has a distinct personality and you can really see it when they play. So I think that pairs are best.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

I don't agree with locking a animal up in a room because your not there. If you do lock them up because there is more then one then you shouldn't be getting anymore.
    Dogs Have Owners ~ Cats Have Staff

We've got one at the moment and that's enough for now. When we move into a house I'm sure we'll get another and a few cats too. When we're going to be out for an hour we put our dog in her cage. If we're out for longer than that she goes to stay with my sister he "doggysits" for us. She goes in her cage for her own safety because if she is left to her own devices she finds things to eat that she's not supposed to. So in the long run it's better to put her in there so she doesn't eat something and get sick and have to go to the vets.

Getting my Feet Wet

Whats one more right.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *~TippiKitty~*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't agree with locking a animal up in a room because your not there. If you do lock them up because there is more then one then you shouldn't be getting anymore. </div></div>

Even if its safer for the animal?

Let's see...last year a man broke into an elderly mans house here in my town. The older man had a little yorkie. This horrible person who broke in STOMPED on the dogs head killing it instantly. The man had left his little doggy in the house alone while he was gone.

So....what's more cruel?

I would rather crate/lock my dogs thanks. But hey, you're intitled to your opinions.

My job as a pet owner is to keep my dogs safe, from other people, from household dangers, ennironment, etc. My dogs have an entire bedroom just for them with a couch and their beds.

Oh, and some animals display high amounts of stress and anxiety when left to roam the entire house.

Dogs are den animals, and some NEED that crate or smaller area just to feel comfortable in their own skin when left alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: *~TippiKitty~*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't agree with locking a animal up in a room because your not there. If you do lock them up because there is more then one then you shouldn't be getting anymore. </div></div>

We put a gate at the top of the kitchen steps. He has the back door to lay near and the whole basement with his food and wather dish. His crate with cushions from our old couch(nice and thick) in it and a blanket. I would rather block him in like that then have him roam the house and pee on my son's bed again like he has done twice before. He has knocked the garbage can over and there are things in there that could get him sick. Several different reasons to block a dog in a safe place while you are gone!

Guru Power Poster

I agree DogsRule.

I have 3 dogs living with me right now. The two Danes are put in their crates if they're left alone. Even if it's for 5 min while I pick up my boyfriend at work. I've left them out before and Ivan goes mental. He's ate a few remotes (batteries and all) and destroys shoes from stress. If he's in his crate, he lays down and sleeps. So for both HIS mental and physical safety, he's locked up.

My Chihuahua, however, is left out...sometimes locked in our room, though. He's not destructive, doesn't stress and sleeps the whole time.
    Busy. Irritated. Leave me alone.

I let my boy have the run of the house. But when he was young before he could be trusted he was crated. No question about it. I would rather crate them or confine them if it was going to keep them safe and secure.

Now he's proven to be able to be left alone, doesn't do anything he's not supposed to, well, except sleep on the couch when no ones around. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

It's just my opinion. No need to get your panties in a bunch.
    When stating what I said I was referring to people doing it for other reason other then their pets safety. Of course if it was safer for the animal I would think it would be ok.
    I've just heard of people locking up their animals because of them being on the couch or furniture when they are gone. To me if you don't want animal hair on your furniture then you shouldn't have any period!
    Dogs Have Owners ~ Cats Have Staff

we have 3 dogs. they all stay in the house when we are gone, unless it is nice outside, then if they want to stay out on the clothesline run they can, but only one likes to do that. they sleep on the furnature, its their favorite spot!

i have crated when i had puppies to elp them learn. untill they learn what they can do and not do etc. it is the best way, i think.

one, two or three, i dont notice a big difference. you have to walk them, feed them, pick up poop, its all the same. the only thing i do notice is there is more hair/fur to vacuum up.

going away is harder, have to find someone to stay here at the house. ive been lucky with friends teenage kids over the years, ones i know i can trust.

oh, ya, the only really hard thing is when i come home and they all want to be petted at the same time, i only have 2 hands and 3 dogs demanding lovin', lol.

my dog has run of the apartment when i'm not home, but i used to have to put her in her crate because when she was younger she was pretty destructive.

i started leaving her out while i was gone for increasingly longer periods of time, coming back to check up on her...if when i returned things were as i left them then she got a treat and lots of praise...but if i came back to a mess she got reprimanded and locked up while i cleaned the mess.

it took a little while for her to learn, but when i wasn't working it was easier to leave her for varying periods of time. she hasn't gotten into trouble for over 2 years now. she also has my 2 cats to keep her company now, whereas when she was "in training" i didn't have any cats. the three of them get along awesome.

if i know i am going to be gone for more than a normal workday i make sure that i have someone who can come over to let her outside and spend some time with her.

Bah, what's a little dog hair? haha...well really, I own short haired breeds so I don't have to deal with dog hair. Works well for me!

Guru Power Poster

I have short haired dogs, too :S They shed like you would not believe! Stella goes literally bald every spring because of her allergies lol Although, my ONE long haired Chihuahua sheds 10x more than both Danes put together. And they have their own couch they're allowed to sleep on and they know the other couch is off limits.

One, three, five...I think once you get to three, adding any more doesn't make a big difference (other than on your bank account lol)

They may shed, but it's not the floating up your nose in your food shedding lol. I find my dogs only really shed in February.

Guru Power Poster

True lol My Chihuahua's is, though. I tell ya, I am NEVER getting a long haired animal again! lol

i have one dog and don't leave her alone she is destructive and can't be crated so if i have to go out i get a sitter or if it is just to pay bills she goes for the ride

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information