Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: appendix are useful after all

Default appendix are useful after all

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/st...?hub=TopStories

Scientists figure out what the appendix is doing

The Associated Press

For generations the appendix has been dismissed as superfluous. Doctors figured it had no function. Surgeons removed them routinely. People live fine without them.

And when infected the appendix can turn deadly. It gets inflamed quickly and some people die if it isn't removed in time. Two years ago, 321,000 Americans were hospitalized with appendicitis, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The function of the appendix seems related to the massive amount of bacteria populating the human digestive system, according to the study in the Journal of Theoretical Biology. There are more bacteria than human cells in the typical body. Most of it is good and helps digest food.

...The appendix's job is to reboot the digestive system in that case.

The appendix "acts as a good safe house for bacteria,'' said Duke surgery professor Bill Parker, a study co-author.

Default Re: appendix are useful after all

Cool!

Default Re: appendix are useful after all

Ever see that poster that says "God don't make junk!" with the cute kid pic? Now they can put a picture of an appendix instead. *ROTFLMBO*
    I am not merely a mass of molecules, incoherently careening through time and space. I am a child of God, destined for another world, a world before which this one pales in significance. Our spiritual preparation for the next world is to be the priority of this life.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information