Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bell internet?

Becoming a Regular Here

Default bell internet?

Hi...just looking for some advice..I've just signed up for Bell 7Mbps internet service....we have 3lap tops in our house and are not getting very good connections at all from shaw?? someone suggested trying bells..there modem has a built in router?? not sure what all that means...just looking for ur experience..Does anyone have this connection..? do you like it? or dislike it?

Please help...confused :-)

Default Re: bell internet?

Their dsl modem has a built in 4 port physical, and a wireless router I believe. I have only come across one person who had one, and she said she doesn't know enough to like it or hate it.

Becoming a Regular Here

i'm sorry t-pot...but i think i'm just like ur friend...dont know enough about it...havent received it yet...should be here tomorrow or next day?? just hope its faster and easier to connect..here at home..i can only use my laptop in one area of the house...otherwise we loose connection..thats not right is it?

Sounds like a router issue rather than a ISP issue. The dsl routers that bell supploes should be strong enough to get signal anywhere in the house.

My parents have Bell's wireless networking. I was using the wireless portion of it while I was living therer last winter. Support is nearly non existent for it though. Call Bell, they tell you to contact the manufacturer of the home gateway. Call the manufacturer, they tell you to call your ISP.

It works fine, as long as you are able to set it up correctly. Luckily, even though I'm not super computer nerd, I have a workable knowledge and was able to set it up manually, because Bell didn't send any type of documentation with the gateway.

simple to setup works fine
    *Foxconn X38a * Core2Quad * 8GB DDR2 * ATI 3870 512mbx2 * Razer Barracuda* 2TB Sata2 * Lian Li A16

The bell modem is a modem and router combination. this has ability to wire 4 computers and a few wireless computers. the more computers connected the slower the connection. Although you are pretty much guaranteed compatibility.... when you do have connection problems it makes it difficult to determine if the issue is with the modem part or the router part. Over all the Bell speed depends on the distance from the hub... same as shaw. I found bell faster than shaw but I find the shaw connection more stable. Wireless connectivity can be affected by location of the router/wires in the walls/ location of appliances / location of cordless phone / all these things can lower(interfere) the wireless signal.
    If you want the best seat in the house, move the dog.

Ya'all know that Vianet has cable AND DSL service????

Try one of them before Bell or Shaw. Way better service, I've found.
    Religion doesn't save you, change you. heal you or set you free. Jesus does.

"if you could lose your salvation, you would!" John Macarthur

I promise to always post sober.

i remember a friend of mine got vianet cable .. it was a shaw guy that came to set it up.
    Copyright© 2016. Reproduction of this Post in part or whole is prohibited

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: italiandomino</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i remember a friend of mine got vianet cable .. it was a shaw guy that came to set it up. </div></div>Umm...yeah, but it's Vianet that deals with either Shaw or Bell...the customer has to only deal with Vianet.

shaw lines
    Copyright© 2016. Reproduction of this Post in part or whole is prohibited

Becoming a Regular Here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoyD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bell modem is a modem and router combination. this has ability to wire 4 computers and a few wireless computers. the more computers connected the slower the connection. Although you are pretty much guaranteed compatibility.... when you do have connection problems it makes it difficult to determine if the issue is with the modem part or the router part. Over all the Bell speed depends on the distance from the hub... same as shaw. I found bell faster than shaw but I find the shaw connection more stable. Wireless connectivity can be affected by location of the router/wires in the walls/ location of appliances / location of cordless phone / all these things can lower(interfere) the wireless signal. </div></div>

Yes joy what our saying is correct...my problem was the only cable connection I have is down my basement and we all know how routers work through cement walls..i was also told that signals dont travel "UP" well?? not sure if that is true..anyway I called shaw and told them of my problem..and asked if I could get another cable set up upstairs and they said no..unless I wanted to pay double?? each month..thought it would be easier to just switch..HOpe I didnt make a mistake..I can set it up myself if it comes with instructions..it does doesnt it?

It would only cost you $25 to get the modem moved up stairs, with the router.

You don't have to pay double, nor purchase another modem.

Or you could drill a hole in the floor and do it yourself for free. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

my homenetworking works fine super simple to set up

Yes easy to set up and Bell gives instructions. I believe if you have probl;ems you can call their tech support and they will walk you through it. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information