Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about riding a 4-wheeler.

Default Question about riding a 4-wheeler.

We've heard that even though you have a factory made 2-up seat on a 4-wheeler it's apparently illegal to operate a 4-wheeler with a passenger on behind you.

Anyone ever been stopped and charged for this?

Just don't understand why if this is true, do companies continue to give you the option of having the extra seat.
    ♪♫**.❤.**♫♪♪♫**.❤.**♫♪♪♫**. ❤.**♫♪

Default Re: Question about riding a 4-wheeler.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    is designed to carry a driver only and no passengers.
    </div></div>

But...if it has the extra seat then it is designed to carry passengers, no?

Sorry...I understand it's the government and all but take for example snowmachines. Some of those are designed for one passenger only, yet it's okay to squeeze a passenger on and go like a bat outta hell. And if you got pulled over for something, you more than likely wouldn't get charged for having a passenger on behind you on a snowmobile, yet on a 4-wheeler you would? [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img]

we were looking at the 2-up. the salesman told us it had extra room on the axles to bare the load of the passenger, and everything, but the govt still hadnt approved it. we ended up getting a great deal on 2 atvs so we didnt go with the 2-up. we did come across the enforcers several times this summer asking for our licience(sp?) and regristration, and i dont know what they would have said if we had a passenger. (we have homemade rear seats, lol!)

Good question. We bought our four wheeler a couple years ago, with the extra "passenger" seat. It even says on the seat that it isn't for passengers lol. We've seen the "authority" out in the bush several times, and have never had an issue. I'm sure they could do something if they felt like it, but I've never heard of any people actually getting in trouble over it.

In the manual for the seat, it says that it's only for carrying items, or for the driver to sit in if he/she wants a rest... or something weird like that.

Last year we had a discussion with an OPP regarding this issue. They advised that the new model two-ups will be legal but the legislation has not caught up with the production.
    They indicated that if the driver of the vehicle had all of the other necessary stuff - ie license, insurance, helmets, and wasn't breaking any other law that they wouldn't charge for the passenger, BUT they wouldn't hesitate to add the charge if there were other problems.

Of course that was only two cops we were speaking with, and perhaps they all dont' have the same outlook.

We have a standard 4-wheeler with the additional "queen" seat as my husband puts it. Never had an issue with the OPP.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

Last year me and a friend were driving out near ranger and we got stopped.. they told us it was illegal to be riding two on a bike even tho we had a the atv seat bolted on the back of the bike.. said if they caught us again we could be charged.. then said have a nice day and left

Ok this may sound like a stupid question but here it goes lol. So according to this law would it be illegal to ride the 4 wheeler with a child on it with you? When at camp one of us always rides with our son.

Yep thats what they're saying.

Guru Power Poster

Yes, the two up machine will be legal in time but not of yet. We have seen OPP and game wardens while doubling on normal ATVs and enforcing the passenger law seem to be at the bottom of there list.
    If you wish to go quickly, go alone. If you wish to go far, go together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MaO3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

We have a standard 4-wheeler with the additional "queen" seat as my husband puts it. Never had an issue with the OPP. </div></div>

Queen...that's the word Hubby used! I like that, so it's for us "Queens" to sit on right? Made sure he was aware that I was sitting higher than him too.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif[/img]

So by the sounds of it, someday they'll be legal...we just have to wait on the government. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img]

Becoming a Regular Here

I've been through numerous blitzs where opp were in the middle of nowhere a.k.a. Dunns Valley, Ranger Lake, Shaw Rd. to name a few and they have always charged for anything they could. But when riding solo and getting stopped when I was doubling and they told me "You know that's against the law, right?" I said yes and they said "O.K. don't let me see you do it again." I guess it just depends on the situation you are caught in.

Hubby ended up actually calling the MNR and the Police to inquire just what you can and can't do...

I'll have to ask him again just what they said, don't wanna screw something up. But what they allow you to do actually isn't too bad. And double riding on a 2 seated four wheeler is supposed to become legal...just don't know when.

Apparently a lot of polictians have four wheelers and the like out at their "cottages" and "enjoy" using them, so they want the law passed just as much as we do...lol. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif[/img]

From what I remember him saying is there's a big difference between a 4-wheeler and the other off road vehicles (Yamaha Rhino for example). A lot of places four-wheelers are legally allowed to go Rhino's and the like are not.

We were told that the Rhinos for example are considered "Strictly Off Road", which means they can't be driven legally on any road. Kind of like a Motorcross Bike.

Now, what we were told with regards to the 4 wheelers and "queen" seats, - they are not legal. The new longer fourwheelers with seats for two WILL be legalized - but the legislation has not yet been passed. We have been told that the seats like mine are NOT legal and that when the actual factory 2 seaters become legal, they will start to enforce the law, and fine those riding double. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] like us

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MaO3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We were told that the Rhinos for example are considered "Strictly Off Road", which means they can't be driven legally on any road. Kind of like a Motorcross Bike.

Now, what we were told with regards to the 4 wheelers and "queen" seats, - they are not legal. The new longer fourwheelers with seats for two WILL be legalized - but the legislation has not yet been passed. We have been told that the seats like mine are NOT legal and that when the actual factory 2 seaters become legal, they will start to enforce the law, and fine those riding double. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] like us

</div></div>

I don't see them actually enforcing the law. Unless you're driving eratically and being a moron, I think they'll just 'warn' you.

I would sure hope so. But I guarantee you that if theres one cop out there thats going to charge people, That will be the one I run into. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif[/img]

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information