Vianet.ca
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Meet My New Friend

Default Meet My New Friend

Coraggio, My Cane Corso (Italian Mastiff). He is a Blue Brindle in colour and 3 1/2 months old. Aint he a cutie . Most people clip the ears but I didn't want too.

Default Re: Meet My New Friend

Oh he's cute.
    Attitude is contagious - is your's worth catching?
    The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..
    Make peace with your past, so it wont spoil the present

GRUMPY

Great looking dog and I agree with you on the ears as I've never been able to understand that at all along with bobbing the tail.

what a sweetie! is he trying to decide which remote to use in that last picture? lol.

What a cutie!!! I much prefer dogs in their natural state too. I like the floppy ears and tail.
    Somewhere in a lonely hotel room
    there’s a guy starting to realize
    That eternal fate has turned it's back on him
    It's two a.m.

He's adorable and looks like he will be a huge handful. Kind of reminds me of Hooch. I hope he won't be a drooler, for your sake.

If later his size proves to be crazy big, let me know, I may have a saddle that fits him. kidding.
    "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."

he is beautiful love the colour
    If someone speaks badly of you, live so that none will believe it!

Ok, I don't mean this as a flame or an insult...BUT Do everything in your power to get this dog socialized and desensitized with EVERYONE and EVERYTHING. Nothing but positive experiences!

Unfortunately, while the breed is beautiful, they have certain traits or qualities that are...undesirable in Canada yet wanted in South America (this I know as I worked with one over the summer who had some issues, and I've researched them in the past). If you start his training, desensitization, socializing early you should have no problems.

I hope you did your homework really well and I wish you the absolute best of luck! If you need any help/have questions, feel free to PM me. Again, not trying to be a B%Tch, just want to help and make sure you know what you COULD be up against in the future.

Otherwise he is an absolute doll! I really do fancy them [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] Congrats!

GRUMPY

Actually what DogsRule says is good and should be followed by ALL dog owners as there is nothing like watching dogs who are well socialized meet as compared to those who aren't. It doesn't matter if they are giants or tiny they all need it and it makes their lives so much easier for them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumpy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually what DogsRule says is good and should be followed by ALL dog owners as there is nothing like watching dogs who are well socialized meet as compared to those who aren't. It doesn't matter if they are giants or tiny they all need it and it makes their lives so much easier for them. </div></div>

This is true, but it is even more important when it comes to dogs bred for guarding, and who will end up 100+ lbs of pure muscle. I'd really hate to see anyone get hurt, or a liability case.

I do say that socializing is extremely important for all breeds, but I sometimes stress it more in certain situations.

ETA: Not to mention he is at a PERFECT learning age, and the next few months are critical in his development for adulthood.

DogsRule I sent you a PM. This is my first dog and I read they don't make good first dog owners. A friend of mine told me he knew someone else that had one of these dogs in the Sault and he had to put it down after 1 or 2 years. The dog wanted to tear everyone apart except for the owner and some family members. I don't know how the dog was raised so I can't say much beyond that. I also read of another incident where the owner was killed by his 3 Corso's in a pac attack. I think it was laywer in New York or something like that. Again, I don't know what the circumstances were.

I was considering a small dog until I cam across the Cane Corso and become interested in this breed. It was too late to change my mind. I have been socializing him. I also need to find a good trainer that knows a little about these dogs. I have no idea what kind of trainers we have hear in the Sault. If anybody can recommend a trainer to me feel free to let me know by PM/email or here in this thread.

Guru Power Poster

I have to agree with DogsRule. My boyfriend has been bugging me for a Cane Corso and they are absolutely beautiful dogs (and yours is VERY handsome!) but I don't have the time to devote to properly raise one [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] Plus, I wouldn't want to take even a slight chance with my daughter...but that's just me. I'm extra super careful even with my two lazy arse dogs lol

I couldn't help you with a local trainer other than avoiding the kennel club, but I do have suggestions...things I did with mine that have helped a TON. Since the day they came home, I've pulled, yanked and tugged on their ears, lips, tails, feet, etc. to get them used to it. Not hard enough to seriously hurt them, but enough that they noticed and got irritated with me. They eventually got used to it and now they don't even notice it...which is great because my daughter likes to chew on their ears and chase their tails lol

And especially with your breed, get him out and around people of ALL ages and other dogs of ALL sizes, colors and ages. I say that because my male Dane isn't fond of black or sable colored dogs or medium sized dogs. But he's perfect with other giant dogs and small dogs...go figure. But unlike the average Corso, he wouldn't hurt a fly (as vicious as he looks and sounds sometimes).

OOOh, one more thing lol If you haven't already, get him leash trained and walking nicely before he gets any bigger! lol He'll be solid muscle and dragging you down the street before you know it haha I can't walk Ivan. He's too big for me to control if he decided to go somewhere lol
    Busy. Irritated. Leave me alone.

J*B

You may be getting a little less company from now on , some people are scared to death of that type of dog, as nice looking as they are, some just don't trust them no matter what!
    I hope you have a good experience with this particular one he sure looks like a beautiful dog.

LastRide, I know the dog you are talking about, he was beautiful and was 18 months old.

To be honest, I would consider premature neutering for your dog as well.

I have to go to the chiropractor and then back to work until 8:30 your time, but at that point I will then send you a whack of suggestions ok? I would REALLY REALLY like to help you get on the right foot with this, especially a) because of the breed and b) because its your first dog!!! Luckily he is still young!

Ok, keep an eye out for my replies!

Oh, and I didn't get your PM [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif[/img] Can you try again?

He's beautiful... I just wanna hug him [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

DogsRule, I sent you another PM. Its hard to tell if your actually sending the person a PM or not the way the forum is set up now. Sure, send me some suggestions.

I give him hugs and kisses all the time. [img]/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

Sent. I hope they help, it's really long though and I have a bunch of questions, so I will wait til you respond to add more!

He is a good looking pup. I wish you good luck with him.

kuietgirl....why avoid the kennel club?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information